golden campine with blue ear lobes?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by leeyuh, Jul 20, 2011.

1. leeyuh

leeyuh Out Of The Brooder

Jul 20, 2011
    Central TX
    Hello!

We have an Ameracauna, a Golden Campine, and 6 brown egg layers (2 RI Reds, 2 Barred Rock, 1 Brahma, 1 Australorp).

We just got our first eggs two days ago. The Ameracauna escaped the chicken pen and laid in the front yard in a bag of leaves. I saw her nest and discovered a somewhat large (for a first timer), greenish egg. AWESOME! The same day, I found a smaller brown one in the nest box.

There were no eggs yesterday.

TODAY, there were two eggs in the nest box...another brown one (larger than the one two days ago), and a smaller, blue-ish tinted one.

Now, I have friends with GC's, and they lay white eggs. But they also have white ear lobes. Our GC's ear lobes are baby blue.

Could the second mystery egg be the GC, or did the Ameracauna lay a smaller, different tinted egg? (Would egg size decrease from the 1st to the 2nd?)

Would the Ameracauna lay in a different spot than where she laid her first egg?

2. leeyuh

leeyuh Out Of The Brooder

Jul 20, 2011
    Central TX
    Okay...problem solved, I think...

In a different light, the blueish egg was really a light green tint, lighter than the Ameracauna's first egg, and much smaller. But upon cracking open the first egg, we discovered it was a double yolk...so I guess that explains the size difference. The Ameracauna laid another egg today, and it matched the small egg from yesterday.

Though I am still curious about the color of the Golden Campine's ear lobes and what color her eggs will be...I will post a picture soon.

3. cleopatra

cleopatra Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2012
    South Texas
    Golden Campines have a blue ear lobe. It's almost irridescent. I just got one yesterday (a young pullet) but the lady showed me one of her hens and pointed out the pretty ear lobes to me. I can't wait to get to know mine a little better - she's adorable!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by