Golden Campines

Discussion in 'Chicken Breeders & Hatcheries' started by jeaucamom, Jan 10, 2008.

1. jeaucamom

jeaucamom Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2007
    Ophir, CA
    So who has Golden Campines?? Could you post pics and tell us what their personalities are like and where you got them? Thanks Suz

2. mdbucks

mdbucks Cooped Up

Jul 14, 2007
    EXIT 109 on 95
    young roo
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

candy the campine
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

got mine from MEYER hatcheries

They are good chickens, lay reliably, and mine are no wheres near as flighty as all the charts say, then again mine are bribed daily with treats so everyone comes to see me.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2008
  3. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    [​IMG] Very cute MD

4. okiechick57

okiechick57 Chillin' With My Peeps

My 2 that I have are "foster" chickens [​IMG] I love them.they are sorta friendly............they would really be If I spent more time with them I do think........they are the ones who run around the most of all the bantams I have........seem to be very nice..never the ones to instigate an argument! Are you thinking of getting some Suz? Edited to say........mine are not flighty either........... just run run run
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 11, 2008
  5. jeaucamom

jeaucamom Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2007
    Ophir, CA
    We have been planning this increase in flock for awhile and I won't even go into detail about how much time we have been obssessing about which ones each of us want. And then.... Poor Jessica's plan went way haywire so she started looking at these. They are really beautiful. I really hadn't heard about these or seen them very often so I was curious what they were like. Keep the pics coming, I love em.

6. turbo

turbo Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 23, 2007
    Eastview, Ky
    I have a gold campine rooster and hen, and I have 8 little campine chicks.

He is my favorite rooster on the farm, without doubt "Jack" the campine rooster is just way too cool. Both of my adults are very calm and never seem to cause trouble.

I do see where the reputation for being jumpy or nervous comes from though, my chicks were very nervous and wild the first 3 weeks....but they are now acting very calm, it must be an age thing.

Anyway you cant go wrong with the campine, my little hen lays a very pretty med. size egg every other day since the fall. Every day would be better, but I am very satisfied with every other day for now.

7. EmptyNest

EmptyNest Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 7, 2008
    SW Iowa
    Thanks for sharing the pics. I had planned to order some Golden Campines from McMurray and the beautiful pics confirm my decision. I call them the "Hawkeyes" chickens because I'm a HUGE Iowa Hawkeyes fan and their colors are gold and black - sooooo obviously my roo will be named Herky after their mascot [​IMG]

8. okiechick57

okiechick57 Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Oh no Wild ! YOUR a virgo too? [​IMG]

9. arlee453

arlee453 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2007
    near Charlotte NC
    I have 2 golden campine girls from Meyer.

They were the most skittish as chicks, but now have the most personality of the bunch. They are very curious and assertive without being mean - they won't take any stuff from the other girls even though they are the smallest ones and are the first to let the dogs know who is boss too.

BUT they don't pick fights or anything like that.

They can fly pretty good even full grown, but they have loads of personality and are now some of the friendliest chickens we have.

I'm definately glad they are part of the flock.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by