1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Golden Cascade Question..Sensitive!!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by spydertoys, Sep 15, 2010.

1. spydertoys

spydertoys Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2008
    Munfordville, Kentucky
    My Golden Cascade ducks have just reached breeding age and I noticed that one of the drakes can't seem to sheath his "weenie". I noticed it sticking out last night and it is still hanging out this morning. I netted him and checked it out, and tried to push it back in and nothing happened..in fact..he sent it sailing out the rest of the way..lol!! There is about two inches of it sticking out and one of the chickens made an attempt to peck it. Has anyone ever seen this on a duck..and will it affect him as a breeder??

2. katharinad

katharinad Overrun with chickens

He has a prolapsed penis. No good. You may have to see a vet about it. Usually it cannot be fixed, but only amputated. I hope some else has more info for you. Some have succeeded with petroleum jelly on minor cases.

3. spydertoys

May 19, 2008
    Munfordville, Kentucky
    Quote:Well..that's a new one on me..lol. So he will not be able to breed with it?

4. iamcuriositycat

iamcuriositycat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2009
    Charlotte, NC
    Oh dear--no, that's not normal and it can be come quite serious. Do you have a copy of Holderread's book? He has a section about prolapsed... weenies... lol. It's treatable, but you'll need to take action--it can get infected and even become fatal if not treated. Treatment will depend on circumstances. Don't try to push it back in just now, though, because it might carry contaminants back up into his body at this point.

Can you post good close-up pics of the situation? Is it swollen? Does it all look moist or is some of it dried out? Try to get a really good look at it and see if you notice anything strange about it. It's hard to know what to do without a clear idea of what's going on with him.

If you can get him to a (GOOD avian) vet, that would be ideal. Otherwise, post more info and someone here may be able to help you. Good luck!

5. iamcuriositycat

Jul 30, 2009
    Charlotte, NC
    P.S. In some cases he can still breed after treatment. It just depends on the severity of the situation and the promptness & effectiveness of treatment.

6. spydertoys

May 19, 2008
    Munfordville, Kentucky
    Quote:It isn't swollen..it just feels cold to the touch. I will try to get a close up pic.

7. spydertoys

May 19, 2008
    Munfordville, Kentucky
    It feels soft and moist..not hard or crusty. Luckily...I have another drake.

[​IMG]

Here's a pic of the "weenie".

[​IMG]

I also have one other question..There isn't a whole lot on the internet about Golden Cascades since they are relatively new. Does anyone know if they are good setters?? Or can I look forward to incubating all those eggs..not my first choice.!

8. iamcuriositycat

Jul 30, 2009
    Charlotte, NC
    Yikes!! That looks awful! And yes, quite serious, but I think you can help him... sort of. Check out this thread:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=3555915

There's a very good description of what to do in a situation that sounds a lot like yours. If he were dried out, I would recommend snipping off the damaged part and hoping that the remainder would retract on its own. As it is, I think the best you can do is to get him to a vet if possible and if not, follow the advice in the thread above.

Good luck. Sorry I'm not more help, especially after you took the time to post a picture. I don't see anything specific that would help, but maybe someone else will... I hope it all turns out well for him and you.

9. spydertoys

May 19, 2008
    Munfordville, Kentucky
    Quote:I read that thread..thanks for the info by the way. But it poses another question. One person says that ducks have the ability to grow back any portion that is amputated..another says they do not. Which is correct??

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by