1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Golden Cascade/Saxony ducks good for suburbs?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by kiimmyn, Apr 6, 2016.

1. kiimmyn

kiimmyn Out Of The Brooder

Apr 2, 2016
    Hey guys, i live in the suburbs and want to have some ducks. Somebody around are selling Golden Cascade eggs that i might want to hatch. But are they loud? I don't want something too noisy that they would call the cops on me (which they've done with my barking dogs..) I don't think a couple quacks here and there would hurt, but just not something really noisy like a call duck? Ive heard that call ducks are noisy, but some people say they aren't? Would a couple of Call Ducks be ok? Also, I was wondering if Saxony ducks would be good too? Let me know, thanks guys! [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 6, 2016
  2. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Part of it is going to depend on the individual ducks, their environment, and how you manage them.

Mine stay pretty quiet until they know I am nearby and it's been "too long" since I have come over to talk to them. And that can be for a few hours.

They also call for attention when the food bowl is empty.

But I have asked my neighbors about it, and they say they're not a loud annoyance (houses are 200 feet apart, or so).

Mine are Runners (I now have some Buffs, a BEI, a white Mallard, and a Khaki-Rouen mix).

3. TLWR

TLWR Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    southern AL
    Like Amiga, I have runners and our neighbors do hear them, but they enjoy it.
    Mine are not loud often, but when they are, you can hear them.

4. kiimmyn

kiimmyn Out Of The Brooder

Apr 2, 2016
    I heard runners are timid and dont need alot of water?

5. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    No domestic duck breed is going to require a lot of water. A kiddie pool will usually suffice depending upon how many birds you have.

I would not suggest call ducks for a suburban area. I have raised calls and they have all been quite vocal.

6. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    Also, Welcome to BYC!

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by