Golden Cascades

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by WestKnollAmy, Dec 25, 2010.

1. WestKnollAmy

WestKnollAmy The Crazy Chicken Lady

Apr 22, 2008
    upstate SC
    I think I am going to order some of these in and wondered if anyone had any. I have searched for some info on here but didn't find much. This is a breed talked about for some years but I just don't find anyone that has any that can give me feedback.

If so, what do you think about the egg laying and the temperament?

2. pardygwyn

pardygwyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2009
    Subscribing/bumping because I want to know, too. [​IMG] I've been thinking of replacing my Harlequins with these guys if they're less flighty. I'm just not seeing the calmness I was hoping to in the breed... though to be fair, I got my Harlis at Metzers and at least one was obviously mixed with Runner.

3. treldib

treldib Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2010
    Southern California
    Quote:Are you talking about a WH?

4. pardygwyn

Nov 14, 2009
    Quote:Yep, and her offspring. All of them stood up straight, though their coloration was OK as far as hatchery WH go. I've thought about getting some WH from Holderread, but would like to know more about Cascades first. They're pretty, lay a lot, and appear to be meatier than WH... if they're also mellow birds, I may just be sold.

5. rainplace

rainplace Interstellar Duck Academy

Don't most egg laying breeds have runner duck as part of their original makeup?

6. pardygwyn

Nov 14, 2009
    They do, but it seems this infusion had to have been rather recent for the traits to show so strongly. Or is it common for WH to be thin, stand upright and be flighty? I thought they were supposed to be a bit bigger in the body than a Campbell, and mellower to boot. LOL

Any input in this thread about Cascades?? I didn't want to derail it with an offhand stream-of-consciousness comment! [​IMG]

7. Big Dreamer

Big Dreamer Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2010
    Central, FL
    Quote:well i just wanted to mention that my harlequins are thin and stand up straight like a runner, i think thats they way they are, mine are flighty too until i pick them up and then they calm down, i think yo have to work with them

8. WestKnollAmy

Apr 22, 2008
    upstate SC
    I will probably be the first to say how the GC do since it seems there aren't any answers but with the Holidays maybe the right person hasn't been on BYC. I was hoping for some in put before I went through it all. I certainly hope they lay well. Temperament would be nice but I have Runners so I know flighty. I don't need a petting duck but it is nice for them not to run screaming from in front of you, you know?

Still hoping someone will join in here with some answers.

9. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Don't know as I've ever seen GC anyone have pictures? Thanks

10. WestKnollAmy

Apr 22, 2008
    upstate SC
    Go to Feathersite. They have a few.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by