Golden Comet Barred Rock?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Orange Ribbon, Jun 26, 2011.

1. Orange Ribbon

Orange Ribbon Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2011
    Sorry I don't have a picture. My computer won't let me put a regular size picture (slow dialup) and when I make it small enough to post it loses all detail.

Anyway, I bought what are supposed to be golden comets which are around 6 weeks old. They came from Tractor Supply, but they don't look like any golden comet pictures I've seen. The body has the right shape, the colors are golden and white, but the pattern is barred. Also there are black specks all over the necks and upper back much like a Delaware. I also suspect they are roosters as they have big combs, big legs and do a lot of sparring with each other.

Do golden comets come with that color and barred pattern? If not, what kind of mixed up boogers do you think I have?

2. Countrypunk92

Countrypunk92 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2009
    Portland, tennessee
    Well Golden Comets are sex links. So that means you can sex them by birth. Females have substancial amount of red or orange with white around the rear.. Males have tons of white.. You can get a Golden Comet by breeding several diffrent types of chickens. Ive heard you take a white rock or barred roo and a rhode Island Red or a Production red Hen. I have also heard that there is a breed called Buff Barred. Basically orange and white barring.. I have a pullet with that but seeral places with white and black barring.. Hope this helps.

3. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Doesn't sound like you got Golden Comets, a fancy way of saying gold sex links. Shouldn't have barring or black specks.

Unless you can identify them, it's just another case of either mutts being sold, or sales bin confusion. It happens. Sorry.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by