Golden Comet comb question.

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Peaches Lee, May 18, 2011.

1. Peaches Lee

Peaches Lee Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2010
    Pennsylvania
    I'm pretty sure this is a pullet, but thought I'd ask anyway. She has the most developed comb of all her sisters. The GC pullets will show a small, single comb right?
    [​IMG]

2. smokeykk

smokeykk Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2011
    Pennsylvania
    How old is it????????

3. sfw2

sfw2 Global Menace

How old is she? And she looks a little dark for a gold comet - more like a production red.

4. Peaches Lee

Sep 19, 2010
    Pennsylvania
    Sorry, I don't know why I always forget to put the age. She is 6 weeks old. Here is a side shot:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 18, 2011
  5. smokeykk

smokeykk Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2011
    Pennsylvania
    I would say cockerel then.

6. RhodeRunner

RhodeRunner Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2009
    Ashtabula, Ohio
    I have to agree with your chick looking like a Red Production rooster. It looks neither like a Golden Comet, or a pullet. The chick besides him (in the other photo) looks like more like the Golden Comet pullet.

Last edited: May 18, 2011
  7. Peaches Lee

Sep 19, 2010
    Pennsylvania
    Well, the bin at TSC was labeled Golden Comet, but you know how reliable that is...I have about 4 of them that are that red color. The others have red on their heads with it fading to whiteish cream towards the tail. So would those white ones be production reds too? Thanks for all your help on this!

8. RhodeRunner

RhodeRunner Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2009
    Ashtabula, Ohio
    I hear you. Our TSC buff Orpingtons turned out to be New Hamsphires.
    Your red chicks are likely to be a sort of production red. The ones that have white mixed in a some sort of Red-Auto Sexing hybrid. The Golden Comet is one of those hybrids.

9. Peaches Lee

Sep 19, 2010
    Pennsylvania
    Ugh! I really can't believe he is a cockerel!! I'm having 'finding-out-they're-a-rooster' overload today. Just heard two of my EEs crow, one I thought for sure was a hen!!! That makes 7 of 14! I do realize that's normal though. Just a bit sad that I have to part with some, name of the game I guess.

10. Pele

Pele Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2011
    Boise
    Your comets are the ones that are reddish around the head, with it fading to a cream tail. They're showing the ancestry of both of their different parents (normally a RIR and a leghorn/white rock).

The fully red ones are not comets, and therefore could probably be any gender. I would vote roo for the one you are asking about. Sorry if that's bad news [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by