Golden Comet death with nothing out of the ordinary displayed... Ideas??

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Nc chickens, Oct 3, 2013.

1. Nc chickens

Nc chickens Chirping

Jun 29, 2013
    Hi everyone,

My hens made a little nest in there coop that they all use instead of a nesting box. So like always there are one or two sitting there laying eggs and when they leave two more move in. Today I noticed one hen spending a good deal of time on the nest compared to the others so I went out to check on her a few minutes later. She had moved off the nest and was sitting on the ground eyes open but kind of out of it. I picked her up without any struggle what so ever and carried her to the porch and sat down with her in my lap. I checked her crop and all of a sudden she had a convulsion and I set her down, she rolled over and died right in front of me. This was what I would call a healthy hen until she rolled over. She looked fine and nothing was out of sorts in anyway.

Has anyone else had an experience like this?? I am blown away at how quick she died.

2. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General

Had that happen a couple of times.... You could try your own necropsy or send her off for one.

-Kathy

3. Nc chickens

Nc chickens Chirping

Jun 29, 2013
    Crazy stuff, I couldn't believe it was happening in front of me.

4. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General

Sometimes just picking them up is enough to send them over the edge. You really should try your own necropsy.

-Kathy

5. Country4ever

Country4ever Songster

Oct 26, 2007
    Might she have fallen off the roost? She may have had a brain injury.
    What did her abdomen feel like? Who knows......maybe she had some sort of a stroke while laying an egg.
    Yes, I have had perfectly healthy-seeming hens die all of a sudden. Sometimes, unfortunately, we just never know for sure what happened.
    Sorry!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: