1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Golden comet gone broody for over 2 months

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Nate-240, Oct 12, 2013.

1. Nate-240

Nate-240 Out Of The Brooder

May 11, 2012
    I got a 1 year old golden comet thats gone broody for over 2 months. I know its rare for
    Them to go broody i guess i got a one in a millionchicken which in this case sucks because i dont have room for more chickens and would rather have fresh eggs. I take the eggs away from her all time and take her off the nest almost 2 times a day and shes still broody. Any ideas tomget her to stop?

2. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    You do have an odd one, not that many of the red sex links ever go broody. Broodys in general though can go on quite awhile if you don't keep them off the nest. For broody breakers I usually just use a wire dog crate, size doesn't really matter, bottom wire spacing is usually around 1x4". I put a couple of perches in there and hang small food/water dishes on the sides so they can't stand or sit in them. Put the crate out in the open, I tend to put them in the middle of the barn aisle or coop so there is a lot of activity and light. They don't like to walk on the wire so they spend pretty much all the time on the perches, that works pretty well for most of them. Some people have mentioned putting a small fan under them to cool them off even more.

3. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    What Kelsie said. You need to keep her off the nest, preferably off the ground so her underside doesn't get warm. Keep her in the wire bottom cage for as long as it takes--usually at LEAST 3-5 days. Don't give her anything that could be a nest, just the wire bottom and perches if you want.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by