Golden Comet hens, Lavender Australorp Roo

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by rvachickens, Nov 20, 2016.

1. rvachickens

rvachickens Out Of The Brooder

Apr 10, 2013
    We just hatched eggs from our Golden Comet hens and Lavender Australorp Rooster. Anybody know if we can determine sex by color?

2. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    Sorry but you cannot use sex links to make sex links. So you are out of luck to start with since your comets are sex links.

That specific hen has gold, she would need silver instead to make red sex links. Your Lavender rooster cannot be used to make red sex links anyway with any hen, but he could be used to make black sex links. But for that to work the hen would need to be barred. Your comet is not barred. Those chickens do not meet the criteria to make sex links.

Out of curiosity, what different colors are you seeing in the chicks? In theory all the chicks should be black, but theory and reality don’t always mesh. Your hen is a cross so you can gets some differences from her, but I suspect your Lavender Australorp (an unrecognized color per SOP) may be a mix also. But that is just a guess.

3. rvachickens

Apr 10, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2016
  4. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    I don’t know if you’ve seen this thread. The first post goes into detail about how to make sex links. To me it’s one of those things that’s pretty confusing until the light comes on, then it isn’t all that hard. But until the light comes on it can be challenging.

Tadkerson’s Sex Link Thread
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=261208

The black chicks are what I’d expect. It may be a lot of fun to see how that Grayish-Yellow feathers out. There are different possibilities. Your male may be a blue, not lavender. That would explain a lot. Or your Comet may have buff in her background. Sometimes buff can do some strange things to black. You may really like the way that one feathers out.

5. rvachickens

Apr 10, 2013
    Cool thanks for the link! I will post a pic as it gets older.

6. rvachickens

Apr 10, 2013
    [​IMG]

Those are the parents!

7. rvachickens

Apr 10, 2013
    Oddly enough we now have 3 grayish yellow and 3 black!

8. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    agree with Ridgerunner

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by