Golden Comet injured by automobile will not stand or move but alert...

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by just4aprilb, Sep 27, 2010.

1. just4aprilb

just4aprilb New Egg

Sep 27, 2010
    Yesterday we were looking for Darlin (our Golden Comet whom I believe is a year old - we got her full grown), when someone knocked on door and said they saw her get hit by car. From what he described she was just brushed and rolled off road. We found her sitting by road, fully alert. She did not fuss when I picked her up and had an almost immediate bowel movement, which looked close to normal and no blood was in it. She was not bleeding anywhere. She has pretty good road rash on her butt and belly (her butt is pretty much bare). Her butt is pulsating some. She is eating and drinking, alot. She is not wheezing at all and her lungs sound clear.

She made it through the night and seems to be comfortable, but she will not walk or stand up. I see no issues with her wings and her legs do not appear swollen or broken, although she will not extend the one leg and will not put them down. If you put her down she just rolls onto side. I cleaned her up this morning because she had messed all over herself. I gave her a bit of anti inflammatory and pain medicine.

Am I holding onto false hope that she will be ok or do you think there is hope? Should I not be selfish and euthinize her. I don't want to make the wrong decision if she has a fighting chance.

I would appreciate any feedback. Thanks.

2. menageriemama

menageriemama Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2008
    Lake Nebagamon, WI
    I may be totally off base, but it sounds to me like a traumatic brain injury. I would give her some time and see what happens. Maybe she has some swelling that will go down and leave her functional. Hope hope hope she gets better soon!!

3. Kittymomma

Kittymomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2009
    Olympia, WA
    I'd give it a few days since she doesn't seem to be in a lot of pain. Sometimes these things will resolve themselves with a bit of time. It's encouraging that she's not wheezing and is eating/drinking/pooping. What kind of meds did you give her for pain and as an anti-inflamitory?

4. just4aprilb

just4aprilb New Egg

Sep 27, 2010
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG] I am happy to report that Darling is doing good and back with her flock!! She is doing wonderful. It took about a week for her to get back to normal. She is doing great. Thanks to all who posted. [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by