Golden Comet lethargic, no appetite, mucousy stool with blood in it - PLEASE HELP

Have you felt inside her vent for an egg?

I'd keep on working on hydration, see that her crop is emptying.
Get some Calcium into her. 1 Caltrate (Calcium Citrate) once a day, just put down on her wattles, pop the pill in and let her swallow.

She may be starting to have some reproductive problems if she's older. Hopefully she will rally for you.
Thank you!

I checked her crop this morning and it was empty, so I'm glad I can probably rule out sour crop. I think you're right, I should check in her vent for an egg, just to rule that out. I didn't think it could be that because she is pooping and doesn't seem to be squatting or trying to lay like an egg-bound hen, but it's worth trying.

If I don't see an egg, do you think it's just miscellaneous reproductive problems? If so, is there anything I can do?

Also, can I get those calcium pills at a regular drug store?

Recently had one do the same thing and pass away. After a week of trying everything... neck started to curl a little. She passed the next day. Immediately another hen started the same lethargic pattern. Went to Dollar store and bought 200iu vitimin E gelcaps. Gave her one a day straight into mouth and then 1cc of nutri-drench. She got a lil better every day for 4 days straight. Day 5 was back to normal. Treated whole flock for cocci and worms and all seems to be good since. Think there was some diarrhea along with high heat and egg laying. Seems to have been a Vitimin E deficiency. Your case seems quite similar.

The calcium pills are stocked in drugstores.
Okay, thanks! I just realized the Nutri-drench has calcium in it. Should I be doing both or is that too much?
Recently had one do the same thing and pass away. After a week of trying everything... neck started to curl a little. She passed the next day. Immediately another hen started the same lethargic pattern. Went to Dollar store and bought 200iu vitimin E gelcaps. Gave her one a day straight into mouth and then 1cc of nutri-drench. She got a lil better every day for 4 days straight. Day 5 was back to normal. Treated whole flock for cocci and worms and all seems to be good since. Think there was some diarrhea along with high heat and egg laying. Seems to have been a Vitimin E deficiency. Your case seems quite similar.
Thanks for sharing your experience. I'm sorry you lost a hen! So even though Nutri-Drench has vitamin E, it's not too much to give both?

A little update:
Etta put herself to bed early last night. I thought I'd have to carry her to the coop but she did (slowly) go on her own. She was slow to get out of the coop this morning, but did walk around a little before laying down. She's changed spots twice, and I've seen her drink water at least twice. I checked her crop right away this morning and it was empty/flat.

Just now I went out and gave her 0.5cc of Nutri-Drench and 0.5cc of B12. I was trying to give 1cc of each, but she moved both times and it didn't make it into her mouth. I'll go out later and give the rest of the dose for both.

I put a finger into her vent about 2 inches. I did not feel an egg or egg shells. It felt pretty normal.

Is there anything else I can give her since she isn't eating? I was thinking of putting some milk in her mouth but that might not be good since she already has diarrhea. Any other options?

Okay, thanks! I just realized the Nutri-drench has calcium in it. Should I be doing both or is that too much?

Thanks for sharing your experience. I'm sorry you lost a hen! So even though Nutri-Drench has vitamin E, it's not too much to give both?
I gave 200iu gel caps. They are most available in 400iu. I have seen many people recommend 400iu for treatment of wry neck. Those are bigger than I was comfortable giving in one gel cap, though you could always puncture and squeeze into mouth. Do not try to mix in water. Vitamin E is thick, oily and sticky. Nutri-drench only contains 3iu per 1 ml/cc, so it does not make a big difference in vitamin E uptake.

I gave 200iu gel caps. They are most available in 400iu. I have seen many people recommend 400iu for treatment of wry neck. Those are bigger than I was comfortable giving in one gel cap, though you could always puncture and squeeze into mouth. Do not try to mix in water. Vitamin E is thick, oily and sticky. Nutri-drench only contains 3iu per 1 ml/cc, so it does not make a big difference in vitamin E uptake.
Okay, thank you. I will try to get those gel caps today. I currently am not able to drive so I will try to find a ride. I was also thinking of grabbing some Sav-a-Chick vitamins/electrolytes. Since she's drinking water that might be more effective for her to stay hydrated and get the vitamins.

Today's update: Etta seems about the same today. She's pretty lethargic and is laying down, but she is drinking a little and took a few bites of mash. Her butt was very caked with poop so I soaked her in the bath and washed off what I could. I clipped a few feathers off that had hardened poop on them. That is when I realized how swollen her abdomen is!
signal-2022-08-11-11-18-46-641.jpg
signal-2022-08-11-11-19-03-755.jpg

She's got a big bald spot down there and when I felt it in the bath, it seemed that it was swollen or there was some sort of mass under the skin.

The thing is, she's had a bald spot there since I got her in March, but I just noticed today how much larger it has gotten. The bare skin there is pink, red,and white blotches and seems dry and tender. I rubbed some neosporin on the area.

Does anyone know what this could be? I'm almost wondering if there is something major going on here, possibly even cancer? I thought her backside was maybe just bald because her previous owner neglected to clean her bottom when she had diarrhea or something, but now I'm unsure since it seems to be getting much worse and now seems swollen.

Please help!!!

Edit: I also want to add that I have continued the use of Nutri-Drench and B12. I was able to get some Sav-A-Chick vitamins, electrolytes, and probiotics so she has that in the water.

I felt her crop earlier and did notice it felt very full, but possibly with liquid? I also heard some gurgling coming from her stomach.

Hello again,

Does anyone have an idea about what is wrong with my hen, judging upon the photos and info in my comment above?

I'm doing all I can to help her. I separated her from the flock. She drinks occasionally and will pick at some scrambled eggs when offered, but I wouldn't call it "eating". She's either laying or standing with her eyes closed, neck curled down, and tail down. The fact that she is standing today but acting just as sickly makes me wonder if it hurts to lay down for some reason.

Back
Top Bottom