Golden Comet lethargic, not eating/drinking...Egg bound???

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by littlemissjellyfish, Sep 25, 2012.

1. littlemissjellyfish

littlemissjellyfish Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 16, 2010
    Maine
    This morning I got home from work and checked on the chickens (my husband let them out of the coop into their run before I got home) I noticed a lone chicken standing in the run. It was my 15 mo Golden Comet. I thought it was odd that she was standing by the waterer, but not drinking. She could barely keep her eyes opened. I continued to watch her not sure if she was enjoying the sun or was sick. Her poo was white and runny. I tried tempting her with treats, but she would not eat. She is usually pretty feisty. I was able to pick her up without much fuss. I noticed that her vent was spasming like she was trying to lay. I brought her indoors and put her in a bath of warm water, thinking if she was egg bound she would dispel the egg. After 15 minutes I took her out. Dried her off and placed her in a dark dog kennel. Since the warm bath she has had 3 more poos. The first was runny and looked like egg whites. The 2nd was dark green and solid. The third was a perfectly formed egg yolk (which she proceeded to peck at and eat before I scooped it up and got rid of it.) She is just standing in the kennel and at this point I'm not sure what else to do...She usually lays pretty big eggs for her size, so I'm not surprised if an egg got stuck. This is the first time anything like this has happened to any of my girls. Any help or advice would be appreciated.
    Thank you!

2. littlemissjellyfish

Jun 16, 2010
    Maine
    She passed the shell ( it was hard and rubbery) and is eating and drinking a little. I'm letting her rest up inside until she is back to her feisty self.

3. Kraebaum

Kraebaum New Egg

Oct 13, 2012
    Hello Our Golden Comet was experiencing the same symtoms and I found your post. Ours also laid an incomplete rubbery shell. What is going on with your chicken now is she back to normal?

4. littlemissjellyfish

Jun 16, 2010
    Maine
    She passed away two weeks later. I'm not sure why. :-( I hope your chicken is OK.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by