Golden Comet Maturity Age

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Henery, Nov 29, 2016.

1. Henery

Henery New Egg

Nov 29, 2016
    I've got 450 Golden Comet Pullets That Are 6 months old each and nobody's laying what could be wrong??? Anybody Got An Answer???????Plz I need an answer they're going to put me in debt???????????????

Last edited: Nov 29, 2016
  2. BuffOrpington88

BuffOrpington88 Non-Stop

Mar 20, 2012
    Hi and [​IMG]

It could be that the shortening amount of daylight has told their systems that it is winter and not a good time to raise chicks. Many people choose to use artificial lighting to "trick" their systems into producing more eggs in the winter, but there are pros and cons to doing this, since this can have an adverse effect on a hen's longevity. Here is a great article about that, and if you have any other questions, always feel free to ask.

Best of luck and thanks for joining us! [​IMG]

3. Henery

Henery New Egg

Nov 29, 2016
    I make sure that they get 16 hours light. I ordered them from Mt. Healthy Hatcheries, just hope I didn't get a bunch of duds. I live in Georgia.

4. Henery

Henery New Egg

Nov 29, 2016
    I've Got 450 Golden Comet Pullets Their 6 Months Old Ain't Laying I Live In Georgia Ordered Them From Mt. Healthy Hatcheries I Make Sure They Get 16 Hours Light. Could They Be Duds?????????

5. Maeschak

Maeschak Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2016
    Maryland, USA
    Have they ever laid at all?

6. Henery

Henery New Egg

Nov 29, 2016
    Never not 1 egg

7. Henery

Henery New Egg

Nov 29, 2016
    Do you have a clue what it could be?

8. Maeschak

Maeschak Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2016
    Maryland, USA
    Oh.... well they probably just havent started yet! I got a few Golden Comets awhile ago and some didnt start laying until around week 24. Im guessing yours are about that age? It would be odd that none have laid yet as they are known for early laying but I guess it isnt out of the question.

9. Henery

Henery New Egg

Nov 29, 2016
    Don't know but go through bout 150lbs of feed a day. But maybe they'll start soon.

10. rebrascora

rebrascora Overrun With Chickens

Feb 14, 2014
    Consett Co.Durham. UK
    That's an awful lot of chickens! What sort of management system do you have? Barn, penned or free range? If confined, how much space do they have? What do you feed them? Could they be eating their eggs? They will do that if they are bored or don't have enough space. They will not lay if they are underweight or stressed. A photo of your set up and some of the hens might give us an idea of what the problem might be or if they look close to laying, Do you ever hear them singing the egg song?

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by