1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Golden comet possibly pooping yolk?!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by katieellis39, Aug 2, 2014.

1. katieellis39

katieellis39 New Egg

Apr 24, 2014
    Hi! Today, I noticed that my golden comet was acting strangely. She wasn't moving around much, especially not running, and preferred to avoid contact with the other chickens and me, which is unusual for her. She is still eating and drinking a little bit, but she would squat down and stand up as though she were uncomfortable and occasionally, she would hold really still and close her eyelids most of the way. She waddles a little bit and I noticed that the fluffy feathers beneath her vent would move in and out as though she was trying to lay an egg. Her eyes were less alert and sharp than usual, so I think she might be hurting. She continued to walk around the yard grazing, as she usually does. After observing this unusual behavior for a while, she squatted and pooped something gooey and yellowish that dripped. It could have been a yolk. Then I was really concerned.
    She started laying eggs a couple weeks ago, about every other day, and they were beautiful, smooth, and perfectly shaped, very healthy looking. The last 6 days, however, she started laying every day. We collected an egg just this morning, so it should be a little soon to be trying to lay another one.
    I am not very experienced with chickens yet, and I have never heard of anyone having this problem.
    Is it possible an egg cracked inside her? I have been giving her crushed oyster shell to prevent problems like soft shell, and I know she loves it, so I don't know why she would have that be having that problem.
    Or maybe it is a kind of diarrhea?
    Anybody know what the problem is or how to fix it?

2. bobthebunny

bobthebunny Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2014
    I have no idea what it could be besides the egg cracking inside of her. My rear end aces for her.

3. Peep-Chicken

Peep-Chicken Overrun With Chickens

Jun 10, 2013
    Michigan
    My Coop
    She could have been egg bound and the egg broke inside of her. I had that issue before. If an egg really did break inside if her, the shards should be removed as soon as possible, or else she could very well get an infection.

4. Peep-Chicken

Jun 10, 2013
    Michigan
    My Coop
    Do you know how to check to see if she has a egg inside of her?

Even if she is given calcium, sometimes they can get egg bound. In my case, the chicken got egg bound as she had gotten sick and then too stressed out. Any recent stress possibly?

5. katieellis39

katieellis39 New Egg

Apr 24, 2014
    Well, there was an incident a few days ago when their water supply ran out for maybe 10 hours, but we don't really know for sure how long.
    Thank you so much for your replies.

6. Peep-Chicken

Jun 10, 2013
    Michigan
    My Coop
    That might do it. Depends on the chicken.

If you need any help, let me know, as I have delt with egg blind chickens :)

7. katieellis39

katieellis39 New Egg

Apr 24, 2014
    Great! Thanks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by