Golden comet pullet a roo?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Plarny, Oct 15, 2016.

1. Plarny

Plarny New Egg

Oct 15, 2016
    My Golden Comet pullets are 4 days old, but already one is looking much different than the others, not developing the long feathers on the tip of it's wings. Should I be worried? Is this an indication that it may be a rooster?[​IMG]

2. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    I understand that feathering is slower in cockerels, so it could well be a little fella. Either way, its nothing to be alarmed over.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2016
  3. Plarny

Plarny New Egg

Oct 15, 2016
    Well, the worry comes from the fact that I'm already attached to it and we're not allowed to have roosters here within the city limits. I kind of expected it when the hatchery threw in an extra, but it's still going to be hard for me and the kids to get rid of it when the time comes. [​IMG]

4. keesmom

keesmom Overrun With Chickens

Jul 28, 2008
    MA
    If that is an extra golden comet then it is a pullet. Comets are sex links and chicks can be sexed by down color. Pullets are reddish and cockerels are white.

5. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    [​IMG]

Agree if it's really a comet, then it's female. comets are a sex link cross, meaning the sex is linked to the color. Females are red/gold, and males are white/silver. Your chicks both have reddish/gold down, so if they're indeed comets they're female. Easy peasy.

6. FarmerTony

FarmerTony Out Of The Brooder

Sep 7, 2016
    If its truly a golden comet then its a pullet. GC's are a sexlink cross, meaning the the chicks can be sexed at birth based on some feature, in this case the color. Pullets are red, cockerels are white, no exceptions.

7. Plarny

Plarny New Egg

Oct 15, 2016
    Yay! Thank you for the good news everyone, these are my first chicks ever, so I appreciate the knowledge!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by