Golden Comet & Red Sex Link

StephensonC

Songster
5 Years
Oct 14, 2014
Richmond, Va
Wondering if someone could help me understand this. I know the hen on the left front is a Golden Comet, but I was told that the hen on the right front is a Red Sex Link. If Comets and Sex Links are the same thing, then why do these look so much different? All my comets look like the one on left. If the one on the right isn't a Red Sex Link, then what is she? Sorry they don't have heads in the pic.

Last edited:
With the various sex links there are differences in appearance because a) they are mixed breed and b) because the breeds used to create them can vary. That being said - would like/need to see better photos of the bird in question to really say what it may or may not be.

Last edited:
X2 on Ol Grey Mare. Red Sex Links can be produced by crossing any red gene rooster (RIR, NHR, Production Red) with any silver gene hen (RIW, WR. SLW. Delaware, Light Sussex, etc). The particular crosses involved will make for some differences in their appearances, although there are going to generally resemble each other. These various Red Sex Links are marketed under a lot of different labels (not always consistently since there is no governing body standard for such hybrids) such as Red Star, Gold Star, Gold Sex Link, Brown Sex Link, Cinnamon Queen, Bovans Brown, Golden Buff, Golden Comet, Hubbard Golden Comet, Isa Brown, Babcock Brown, Warrens, HyLines, Gold Lines, Lohmans, Lohmans Brown, Bovans Goldline, etc., but no matter what label they are marketed under, RSLs can all be sexed by color at hatching (male chicks are whitish, female chicks are reddish), and they are all egg laying machines, outlaying either parent breed. It's one of the interesting quirks of hybridization.

X2 on Ol Grey Mare. Red Sex Links can be produced by crossing any red gene rooster (RIR, NHR, Production Red) with any silver gene hen (RIW, WR. SLW. Delaware, Light Sussex, etc). The particular crosses involved will make for some differences in their appearances, although there are going to generally resemble each other. These various Red Sex Links are marketed under a lot of different labels (not always consistently since there is no governing body standard for such hybrids) such as Red Star, Gold Star, Gold Sex Link, Brown Sex Link, Cinnamon Queen, Bovans Brown, Golden Buff, Golden Comet, Hubbard Golden Comet, Isa Brown, Babcock Brown, Warrens, HyLines, Gold Lines, Lohmans, Lohmans Brown, Bovans Goldline, etc., but no matter what label they are marketed under, RSLs can all be sexed by color at hatching (male chicks are whitish, female chicks are reddish), and they are all egg laying machines, outlaying either parent breed. It's one of the interesting quirks of hybridization.
x2 on this.

X3

X4. Michael is very knowledgeable about this stuff!
goodpost.gif

Would a RIR roo and white leghorn be a sex link? If so would it be a good layer as well?

Nevermind, I just found the answer in another posts. I do have some other questions on crossbreeds if anyone here can help.

Nevermind, I just found the answer in another posts. I do have some other questions on crossbreeds if anyone here can help.

I'm sure you can get your questions answered with the wealth of knowledge around here - if they are specific to RSLs post here, if not start your self a thread with the questions you have and watch the information roll in ;-)

Would a RIR roo and white leghorn be a sex link? If so would it be a good layer as well?

I'm not sure which post you looked at, but the answer is "no." White Leghorns lack the silver gene necessary to create Red Sex Links.

Back
Top Bottom