Golden comet sex links?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by sjcshawna, Feb 8, 2012.

1. sjcshawna

sjcshawna Out Of The Brooder

Jan 22, 2012
    Fordsville, KY
    I have what was suppose to be Golden comet sex links That i ordered through a hatchery. I hatched chicks starting as of yesterday my chicks started hatching. Problem is though i have so far 4 white and 2 black and more on the way. They are all ahtching out these 2 colors. Can they still be sexed by color? Also my roo is white with red speckles on his back and my hens are red so where did the black come from?? So confused!!!! I can send pics if i need to. Im worried bc i sold these as hatching eggs and now im afraid people will be mad at me bc the colors are coming out wrong. A person i sold them to i have been following up with her and she said hers hatched out the same colors. But all hers where white with only one black, what are the odds that all the whites could be roos, if they are she is not going to be very happy.

2. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    Some photos would be interesting and might help us answer.

What I think you are saying is that you hatched some eggs laid by your Golden Comets and fathered by this white rooster with red speckles. There is really no telling what breeds were the Golden Comet's parents. Different hatcheries use different breeds. There are several different breeds that could be the mother and several that could be the father. And there is no telling what genetic make-up the rooster has. Do you happen to know hIs parents?

If these are eggs from a Golder Comet, the resulting chicks are not sex links. You cannot use sex-linked chickens to make more sex links. It just does not work that way. You need both parents to be pure for certain genes and the Golden Comets are not pure for the correct gene.

3. halo

halo Got The Blues

Nov 22, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    As was said, you don't get sex links from breeding sex links. Sex links are the product of 2 pure breeds. I think golden comets are a cross between a rhode island red rooster and either rhode island white hens or white rock hens. So in order to produce chicks that are sex linked, you would need these breeds. They are a hybrid, not a true breed.

4. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Actually, some Red Sex Links can even be a 4 way cross. When bred back, you can get a lot of interesting colors and combinations. For sure, no more sex linking. That's a one time deal.

5. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    I believe that the ISA Brown is a 4 way cross.

Chris

6. Fred's Hens

7. sjcshawna

Jan 22, 2012
    Fordsville, KY
    i sexed them by their wings. I read on a university web site that you can sex them when they are a day old by the length of the primary feathers on their wings. I had an idea that they would not be sex linked by color but i was not for sure i didnt know if there was ant truth to it so i decided to hatch them out to find out for myself. The thing that confused me was where was the black coming from. When they get these i have red that they use white rock hens and new hampshire rooster. But where is the black coming from. Here are some pics of the chickens
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  8. sjcshawna

Jan 22, 2012
    Fordsville, KY
    Here are some of the chicks this one black chick is whiteish on its belly with red on its face and a liittle red on its sides throughout kind of hard to explain it is a odd color
    [​IMG]
    Here are the white ones
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  9. draye

draye Overrun With Chickens

Nov 30, 2010
    Arkansas
    There is no telling where the black came from.
    Your rooster looks like the typical red sexlink rooster. Crossed with the Golden Comet hens it will bring out the colors from generations past that could have been in the genetic make-up of the chickens.

My dad got the black sexlinks and breed the BSL roo (barred) to the BSL hens (Black with gold necks) together and hatched oout their chicks. He got all sorts of colors (black, barred, red, delaware colored, and crisscrossed colored ones. Now the cross is wuppose to be RIR (Rhode Island Red) x BR (Barred Rock), so where did all the colors come from?
    Don't know except there were some beautiful chicks.

10. Fred's Hens

White can "cover" black. Red can "cover" black, as best I understand things. Once the purebreds are crossed to make the sex-links, and then crossed again F2, the latent colors that were formerly being covered are now exposed.

Breeding true means, among other things, that the color gets rendered on the offspring in a fashion that is true to the breed. Not breeding true means that despite the coloration of the parents, it's a crap shoot as to what gets rendered in the offspring. Sex Links, of course, do not breed true, as they themselves are mixes/mutts.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by