Golden comet, shaking her head. What's making her do this?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by TheBakers, Mar 24, 2011.

1. TheBakers

TheBakers Out Of The Brooder

Mar 24, 2011
    The Hills
    Newbie here. My 3 week old golden comet is shaking her head and pecking at her feathers. Is it because she is molting or could she have mites? I have looked her over really good and haven't seen any lil critters running around on her. She isn't sneezing, her poop is normal, and in no way appears to be injured or sick.

2. bgelber

bgelber Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2009
    Athens, al
    [​IMG] don't know the answer just wanted to say hi. Someone with more knowledge will com along.

3. TheBakers

TheBakers Out Of The Brooder

Mar 24, 2011
    The Hills
    [​IMG] Well thank you anyway... and hello to you too. [​IMG]

4. Arielle

Arielle Chicken Obsessed

Feb 19, 2011
    Massachusetts, USA
    I'm a newbie too. My adult bird was shaking her head one day. A new thing. So I got closer to look her over, she wasn't too friendly at the time. ANd I saw a peice of hay hanging out of her mouth! DH helped me catch her, and I removed a long blade of dried grass. Maybe?

5. galanie

galanie Treat Dispenser No More

Aug 20, 2010
    Colmesneil,TX
    Most birds shake their heads because something is irritating them. I know, that's obvious. Like the hay thing in the mouth. But they can also do it because their ears hurt or something similar. When cage birds do it, and I mean a lot, not just a few times, it's because they are sick. Something in the chickens head is not right and it's trying to make it right. Hopefully yours just had a minor irritation and it's OK now.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by