golden comet walking wobbly

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by creekgirl, Aug 10, 2013.

1. creekgirl

creekgirl New Egg

Feb 12, 2013
    Cape Breton, N.S. Canada
    I have a golden comet about 22 weeks old. She is walking like her legs are too close together and very wobbly and unstable. She tries to walk a few steps and then rests...like she doesn't have balance in her legs. I have separated her from the others. I am wondering if it is a physical thing or a disease of some sort. If its physical or genetic will she get better and will she be able to lay eggs? If it is a disease or illness how do I treat her? Thanks!

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    She may have a neurological problem such as botulism, Maraks disease, or have been poisoned. Is she alert or sleepy? Is she lying around a lot, eating, drinking, pooping? Coccidiosis might cause her to be wobbly and tired, but if she is walking funny it is neurological.

3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2013
  4. creekgirl

creekgirl New Egg

Feb 12, 2013
    Cape Breton, N.S. Canada
    Yes she is lying around and not eating. Poops a little... thanks for your info!

5. creekgirl

creekgirl New Egg

Feb 12, 2013
    Cape Breton, N.S. Canada
    I also noticed her mouth is slways opened. What should I do with her? Is there any hope??

6. creekgirl

creekgirl New Egg

Feb 12, 2013
    Cape Breton, N.S. Canada
    Well I don't think she is sick. I've had her separated from the others for a week. She hasn't changed. She still can't walk and doesn't make any sounds. She only eats when I gand feed her and drinks a little. By looking at her appearance, she looks great, healthy. But she can't put any weight on her legs. She hasn't pooped very much.the poop I did see is green in color. I'm thinking she may have a broken leg or something of that sort. Although her legs look straight. But maybe its inside?? I don't know what to do with her!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by