1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Golden Comets at 9 weeks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by LynneP, Jul 19, 2008.

1. LynneP

LynneP Chillin' With My Peeps

I've been keeping a photo file of the girls since they were 12 hours old and arrived at our local co-op. Now they're 9 weeks, healthy and friendlier than ever. I've been lucky. I know that several of you also received golden comets and I'd love to see some pics! One of them remained largely buff in color but is a pullet. She's the biggest and apparently, the alpha female.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 19, 2008
  2. gumpsgirl

gumpsgirl Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    They are lovely! I love my goldens! Aren't they just so docile and sweet?!?! [​IMG]

3. ibpboo

ibpboo Where Chickens Ride Horses

Jul 9, 2007
    always changing
    awwww, cute chickies!

4. LynneP

I'm so sorry about your sick babies, you'll be in my thoughts as you cope. We decided to go 'closed flock' so that these chicks, brought onto new ground, would live together with no others during their lives. I've never done this kind of thing before, but we've been lucky, and we don't let anyone with the birds but the two of us. I agree about the golden comets, I'd choose them again in a heartbeat!

We're dealing with a raccoon invasion in our district, apparently each mama had many babies. I've never seen anything like it. We may have outsmarted them, so far, but it's a huge concern. I had one in the barn eating cat food yesterday morning and she wasn't afraid of me, though my broom chased her away, twice. She was back today.

5. mom wewantchicks!

mom wewantchicks! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2008
    buckhannon,wv
    awwww so very cute! my golden comets are soooo sweet,but i can never get them to sit still to get a good picture! im new to chickens, can all chickens fly around as good as the comets?

6. LynneP

I had one bird fly the length of the run (18') and land gracefully. I bet she could fly to the top of our oak trees (she'll never get the chance!). We have platforms on the inside and the outside of the pop door and they like to strut there and be photographed. They're used to the camera and I had used it from Day 1. Sometimes they pause and pose to see the flash. The other thing I notice is that they'll snuggle tight against your hair when on your shoulder and groom it for you...I know there are more beautiful chickens, but I'm hung up on these girlies!

Last edited: Jul 19, 2008
  7. gumpsgirl

gumpsgirl Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    Quote:Thank you for your concern and well wishes. The new antibiotic is helping and most of the birds are seeming themselves again! I just dread the hunting down and culling the carriers part now. It's good to do the closed flock thing for this reason. I will never bring in another chick or chicken to this flock. If I don't hatch it, it doesn't come in!

Good luck with those raccons! Have you tried contacting animal control and asking them if they have any live traps you could borrow and if they will come and get them once trapped? Just a thought! [​IMG]

8. LynneP

I'm very glad to hear you're making progress. I have an old friend who has run her operation as 2 closed flocks, for decades. She never has disease problems. I feel so badly at what you're suffering.

The raccoons? Oh my, if we call a wildlife rep he's liable to roll on the floor laughing. We heard that people are using tender hearts and moving the raccoons to other people's trouble spots! What we're doing is rec-checking every corner of the coop daily, and thinking like a raccoon. I found droppings in the loft. Yick.

9. lovemychicks9

lovemychicks9 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2008
    South Carolina
    Oh gosh , I can't wait for my girls to grow up. they are so pretty, I have two right now and 5 more coming in September. I get to see in advance what my girls will look like, Thanks. Trudy

10. LynneP

You're very welcome Trudy, they're my first chicks ever. The last time I was around hens was decades ago with my cousin's 4-H project. I decided to buy local and I've been fortunate. If I begin a second flock at some point I'll do the same![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by