golden comets breeding

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by hudsonnascarfan, Jun 19, 2011.

1. hudsonnascarfan

hudsonnascarfan Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2011
    what do you get when you use a golden comet rooster to breed a golden comet hen i know that they are both hybreeds so just woundering if you would still get good egg layers or what you would end up getting or could you just bring in a rooster like a rir to breed them to keep the egg production up

2. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

You'll get good layers, of that there is no doubt.

The coloring will be way off. Many times, the white tends to dominate and the chicks look more like a Deleware type bird. It just depends. For certain, you will not get birds that resemble the golden/red sexlink you have now.

3. hudsonnascarfan

hudsonnascarfan Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2011
    i was wondering because my stepson just got a dozen straight run golden comets so i didnt know if i should trade one of his roosters for one that i should be getting out of my incubator next week he picked up his day old chicks thursday he had said if he had known i was going to be running a test batch of eggs he would have waited to just get some chicks from me but at the time he ordered his i didnt have the incubator yet and my chickens wont be laying eggs for a few more months they are only 7 weeks old now ive got barred rock and jersey giants wonder what id get if i crossed my barred rock hens with my black jersey giant rooster that might be a interesting combo too i might try it after they start laying just to see

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by