Golden Comets Not Living Long?

peasant_girl

Chirping
Feb 18, 2020
We bought five Golden Comet chicks 2 1/2 years ago. This year we've lost three of them. Two due to ascites, and the other one suddenly died one night. Now another one is sick. Is it normal for this breed to die so young? I know that they're bred for laying a lot of eggs and so are more prone to certain problems, but I thought they'd live longer than this. We aren't having these problems with our other breeds that are as old.

We bought five Golden Comet chicks 2 1/2 years ago. This year we've lost three of them. Two due to ascites, and the other one suddenly died one night. Now another one is sick. Is it normal for this breed to die so young? I know that they're bred for laying a lot of eggs and so are more prone to certain problems, but I thought they'd live longer than this. We aren't having these problems with our other breeds that are as old.
I have a really sick one and I’m looking for the most humane way to kill it.

My golden comet is a powerhouse - she lays an egg *every* day. I expect it will take a toll on her. I didn't know about her short lifespan when I got her. She outlays my ISA Browns.

Sorry your hens have been dying. I expect mine will too around 2-3 yrs old, and I will miss her. At least you gave them the best life possible while they were alive.

Back
Top Bottom