1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Golden Comets or Red Star??? are they the same but 2 different names?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by K-9Dog, Sep 19, 2012.

1. K-9Dog

K-9Dog Out Of The Brooder

Jul 23, 2012
    Ok what is the difference? or is there? also I read that one parent is a RIR and the other seems to be 1 of 3 different breeds? A lot of the online info seems to have contradictory information. Can anyone please calrify?

2. mickey328

mickey328 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2012
    Northern Colorado
    The terms "comet" and "star" (and some others too) refer to sexlink chickens. They're not a breed, but a hybrid. The term "sexlink" comes from the fact that as soon as they have feathers you can tell males from females. The roos are mostly all white or cream, while the pullets are colored...red, gold, black. IMO, the "red" and the "gold" are so similar as to pretty much be the same color.

Technically, my little flock is "red". This pic isn't a close up but you can sort of see the color variation. Beside the fact that they're so easily sexed so early, they're egg laying machines! We average 5 eggs a day from our 6...lovely large to jumbo sized brown to cream colored eggs.

HTH
    Mickey

[​IMG]

3. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

One will never know if they are "the same". They are certainly similar. Both Red/gold sex links. Since there are dozens of specialty blends of these kinds of sex links there are also dozens of different names for them. They are indeed mixes, hybrids, blends, strains and not breeds.

Very prolific layers, to be sure!!!

4. K-9Dog

Jul 23, 2012
    Thanks! I have 2 RIR's and just got 2 golden comets on friday. I understand they are a hybrid. I just get a lot of different info and even info that seems to imply they are the same. That is why i am asking.

thank you... I am still a bit confused however...

5. Fred's Hens

It doesn't matter, they are chickens, and if they are healthy? Great!!!!

The fact is that many of these birds are actually commercial strains that also get sold through retail outlets. The actual parentage is often patented, and a trade secret. Of course, we know how to make Red Sex Links, even in our own backyards, but most of these birds are very special, genetically selected blends. The public spin is that an RIR x Delaware or RIR x Rhode Island White was used. OK. But honestly? EEEEehhhhh? Probably not exactly accurate. Again, it doesn't matter. A red rooster was put over a silver hen and the RSL is the result. The truth is that the both the reds used and silver/whites used have been genetically selected for so long that actually calling them this or that breed is no longer accurate.

I hope that helps.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2012
    1 person likes this.
  6. mickey328

mickey328 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2012
    Northern Colorado
    I was hoping you'd chime in, Fred, you guru of sexlinks, you! [​IMG]

7. Fred's Hens

We always have had some around the last half dozen years. They are prolific layers. I've personally preferred one particular strain over another we've tried, but both have been great laying hens, friendly to a fault and nice to have around.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2012
  8. K-9Dog

Jul 23, 2012
    Fred, thanks and I understand. I just weanted to know more about what I had. Part of my learning curve. they seem more peaceful than the RIR's that are very aggressive toward them and even the dominant hen has been a bit pushy with me. Their eggs are huge too! The one has a bit more white and nice markings and is a pretty bird. Just wanting to know more about what i have here! First time chicken owner.

9. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    A red sex link is like ibuprofen. It's a generic term. Red star or golden comet or cinnamon queen are like brand names, they would be like Advil or Motrin. Same basic ingredient, just marketed under a different name and maybe a slightly different look. But if you have a headache, it doesn't matter which one you take, they all work. If you want nice, docile brown laying machines, that's pretty much what you'll get with any of these.

10. K-9Dog

Jul 23, 2012
    Monty Python!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by