1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Golden Comets : Pullet or Cockerel?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by sarahlnorm, Nov 8, 2013.

1. sarahlnorm

sarahlnorm New Egg

Nov 14, 2012
    I just picked up these Golden Comets yesterday and was told they "should" all be pullets. The one on the right with the cream colored head has a lot of traits that resemble a cockerel to me. Is it possible that if this isn't a first generation that the lighter colored one could be a pullet? Looking for advice on whether this one is going to be a hen or roo?

[​IMG]

2. PeakyBeaky

PeakyBeaky Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2010
    Bellefonte, PA
    " Golden Comets" are sex linked-so the pullets should be brown and cockerels are white. What you have look like mixes(second generation), so I agree- it would be hard to say what you have.

3. debid

debid Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2011
    middle TN
    The crossing for sexlinked color only works in the first generation. After that, they are all shades of red/white with no relation to gender. The chick on the right is already getting red in the comb and is a cockerel. The other two might be pullets but it's a little early to be sure.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2013
  4. RoostersCrow HensDeliver!

RoostersCrow HensDeliver! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2011
    SE Michigan
    I agree, the mostly white one looks like a cockeral because of the comb. The other two look like pullets so far.

5. debid

debid Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2011
    middle TN
    Just curious, will they let you exchange the one? If so, look for another with a tiny, pale comb. That's the most reliable indicator at this age.

6. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Where did you get them from? If they didn't come from a hatchery, they're quite likely second generation and all bets are off as to gender and color. Feel free to ask the sellers--did they breed these birds themselves? If they bred a comet hen to a comet rooster, they're not comets anymore, they're just good laying mutts.

7. sarahlnorm

sarahlnorm New Egg

Nov 14, 2012
    I bought them from a nearby farmer who just breeds them for locals. They have a very small operation. I didn't ask specifically what chickens were bred, so it's likely not first generation, but I'll follow up with them on that. They will take back any cockerels/roos and exchange them without any problem so I'm not worried about returning it. I would just prefer to exchange it now if it's definitely not a pullet, than to raise it for another month and wait for it to crow. Is it a safe bet that any chicken this age (7 weeks) with a redish comb is a cockerel?

8. RoostersCrow HensDeliver!

Apr 11, 2011
    SE Michigan
    The redish comb is not a 100% indicator at that age, as a late developing cockeral might have a tiny pale comb yet. Just pick one that has the smallest comb and thinnest legs. Leg thickness is usually a good indicator too, as males have thicker lags than females.

9. sarahlnorm

sarahlnorm New Egg

Nov 14, 2012
    Both the lighter/possible roo and one of the other ones have some pretty thick legs. How much longer would I have to wait to know for sure whether they are hen or roo? Hopefully before they lay or crow?

10. RoostersCrow HensDeliver!

Apr 11, 2011
    SE Michigan
    You should know for certain by 10-12 weeks that they are male or female. I am fairly sure that the darker two or your birds are females. I would go trade the cockeral in as soon as possible so they can all adjust to their new flock hierarchy. I wouldn't want to try introducing a new one to two established birds once they are older. They would fight less the younger they are.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by