Golden Comets vs Barred Rocks

Tatudadee

In the Brooder
9 Years
Aug 21, 2010
I've got three comets and three rocks all the comets are laying as of today they are all the same age about 5mos the rocks haven't even started developing waddles or combs these are my first chickens I'm just wondering if the rocks are gonna lay any time soon.

I love my RSL's and am rather disappointed with my BR's. My two BR's started laying more than a month after the 5 RSL's (they are the same age), they lay small-med eggs vs. the RSL's large to XL, and one of the BR just decided to stop laying altogether about 8 days ago.

On top of all that, the RSL are much friendlier! I'd say the BR's aren't good for much but a stew pot. I keep threatening them....

hu.gif

BRs are great layers once they get started. Be patient with them. They develop a little slower, but they are so gorgeous and lay such consistent eggs you will shortly be impressed with them. Good luck.

Golden Comets are known to be one of the very fastest maturing breeds. Barred Rocks are about average, maturing at 22-24 weeks old +/-. Golden Comets are known for their extremely early maturity of 20-22 weeks old, +/-.

Sex-Link breeds (including Golden Comets) are definitely known for the very best production of brown eggs.

BTW,
welcome-byc.gif

Thanx for the info I'm new to this but I'm already a chicken junkie..Building my own incubator gonna try hatching some..I'll keep yall posted..thanx again

Gold Comets are a crossbred hybred chicken bred to lay early lay big and not last past two years in laying. They are production stock and do not breed true. The Barred Rocks can also be production if from a hatchery and will mature as early as 20 weeks or later. If from good stock it will be later around 24 to 30 weeks. They will lay well first year and for many years after. I have heard some laying into 7 years. Barred Rocks of heritage stock is very rare to find. Hatchery/production stock much easier. You might want to go to the Breed section and look at the Plymouth Rock thread we have going. There is also a Barred Rock thread just about the hertiage lines. Plymouth Rock is the breed Barred Rock is a color variation in the breed.

Think of it this way, RSL are bred for egg production only and produce an egg almost everday. Most slow down considerably or stop laying after 2 years. Barred rocks are dual purpose, both meaty and good layers. Though not as such a consistent layer as a RSL, they will lay much longer.

My barred Rocks and Buff Rocks started to lay at 19wks. I got the Barred because I had them back in the '80s. As far as production birds, all the crosses and links I am really not all that interested. I am really glad to see the work being done by the small farms and hobbiest to bring back the older large fowl breeds.

My barred rocks started laying at 21 weeks. My wynadottes started 2 weeks later. All my girls lay 6-7 eggs a day. Some are still laying small eggs but my rocks are laying some very nice dark brown eggs. I wouldnt trade them for any crosses. They are very sweet girls who keep me entertained daily and Flo, my favorite, insists on sitting on my lap for attention every day. I expect they will produce for some years. Javas will be my next project and my rocks come from that old breed. Good dual purpose birds.

Back
Top Bottom