Golden comets?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by jmbickers33, Feb 7, 2017.

1. jmbickers33

jmbickers33 Just Hatched

Feb 7, 2017
    Thinking of adding some to my flock...anyone have any reasons not to get this breed?

2. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    Red sex links (which Golden Comets are) are a great production bird. They have mixed reviews with regards to temperament and flock compatibility as well as longevity. What do you have in your current flock? What is your goal in adding the RSL?

3. jmbickers33

jmbickers33 Just Hatched

Feb 7, 2017
    I have Rhode Island reds now...nothing serious with plans on flock..a guy locally raises them so thought I would try them!

4. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    First question to ask him is what cross he is using to get the "Golden Comet" -- the reason being many people think if you get two GC from the hatchery and breed them you have GC chicks -- that is not the case. Be sure he is crossing red over silver (two different breeds of birds) to produce true sex linked chicks.

5. BBB Becky

BBB Becky Out Of The Brooder

Nov 15, 2016
    Georgetown, MA
    I have six golden comets. This is my first experience with chickens. They are about six months old now, lay regularly, have the sweetest disposition and almost never squabble.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by