golden comets

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by KyleD., Feb 7, 2009.

1. KyleD.

KyleD. Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 3, 2009
    south carolina
    will they lay well? i just bought a rooster and 3 hens, wondering if the hens will be good layers?

2. HorseFeathers

HorseFeathers Frazzled

Apr 2, 2008
    Southern Maine
    Oh yes! They are bred to be production birds. One of the best layers you can get.

3. Master S.M.C

Master S.M.C Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2009
    Maryland
    Cool breed, neighbor has golden comets

4. KyleD.

Feb 3, 2009
    south carolina
    i got the hens at the sale barn and they guy says he buys them by the hundreds from a company, so i was a little iffy about it just didnt want to come home empty handed.

5. Barn Maid Ann

Barn Maid Ann Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 28, 2008
    Punta Gorda, FL
    KyleD. :

will they lay well? i just bought a rooster and 3 hens, wondering if the hens will be good layers?

We have 3 Golden Comet hens. They are such good girls! They lay lots of big brown eggs for us. The are very friendly and follow us around.
    You should be happy with them.​

6. AngieChick

AngieChick Poultry Elitist

I love my golden comets, they are lovely sweet birds. They were the first to lay and have been very productive, consistent layers of large eggs.

7. KyleD.

Feb 3, 2009
    south carolina
    ya'll were right. i went out this morning and two of my girls had layed 2 big beautiful brown eggs!

8. tam

tam New Egg

Jan 18, 2009
    I also love my Golden Comets. I first bought three from a friend, then was lucky enough to find a man just about an hour from me who had GC pullets, 17 weeks old. Bought 15 more, they are wonderful, laying well, and lo and behold he had some more. So I bought 15 more, figuring they are 6 months younger than the others and may moult at a slightly different time, and my friend also got 6. They are just begining to lay, we eat well, the dogs eat very well, and we have eggs to sell. Now if the Khaki Campbell duck would start to lay it would be perfect.

9. ghulst

ghulst Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2008
    Zeeland Michigan
    Yes they are good layers. They are red sexlink comersial bred brown egg layers. I have Isa Browms that are the same just a different name. Unbeleviable layers.

10. LynneP

LynneP Chillin' With My Peeps

I'm delighted with mine. Had them since less than 12 hours old

getting an average of 11.5 eggs daily from 12 hens now. Friendly, healthy, I was lucky and next year I'll get 12 more. Our co-op has a reputation for providing excellent chicks.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Click on my hp to see them as adults.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by