1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Golden Comets

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Camshaft, Nov 3, 2010.

1. Camshaft

Camshaft Out Of The Brooder

Apr 1, 2010
    Cape Breton Island
    I have looked in the "Breed" section for my Golden Comets and for some reason they are not listed? Is it because they are not a breed of their own? I don't want to call them a half-breed or anything else. If I went out and told them that, they'ed stop laying !

2. storminstaffs

storminstaffs Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2008
    Durham, UK
    Look for production reds, sex links thats what they are also classed as

3. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    Golden comets are a sex link chicken. They are crosses between a male that has a gold gene and a female that has a sex linked silver gene. The hen with the silver gene gives that gene to her sons only. Her daughters don't get it, so the male chicks are yellow when hatched and the female chicks are red. They are not a breed, but a cross.

I cannot tell you which breeds were crossed to produce your golden comet. Often the hen is a White Rock, but it can be the Rhode Island White, a Delaware, or something else. All that matters is that they have the sex linked silver gene. Same with the male. It could be many different breeds, often a buff colored rooster or maybe a Hew Hampshire Red. They usually don't call the offspring from a dark red rooster like Speckled Sussex or Rhode Island Red a Golden Comet, but they can if they want to. There is no authority running around with fines or jail time if somebody calls their crosses a name that somebody else is using for a different cross.

Golden Comets are usually great egg layers and fairly laid back hens. They are not that easily offended. You can be honest with them.

4. Camshaft

Apr 1, 2010
    Cape Breton Island
    Thanks much for all your answers. They are great chickens that love to hang around me when I'm working outside and they do give one big brown egg each and every day!

5. RAREROO

RAREROO Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2009
    Alapaha, Ga
    You would call them Hybrids, not Breeds

6. banjoejoe4783

banjoejoe4783 VILLAMIL FARMS

Oct 6, 2010
    westville ok
    you can call them good layers . but they are not a breed . dang those hacherys you foold another one nooooooooo!!![​IMG]

7. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Quote:Yeah, and hybrids are all the rage, now. You could tell them they're like a Prius [​IMG]

8. Camshaft

Apr 1, 2010
    Cape Breton Island
    Lucky I like these Golden Comets, they are the only egg laying chicken you can order from the Farmer's CoOp here on Cape Breton Island......they can take the cold weather we can get here and keep on laying.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by