Golden Comets

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by PattyO, Dec 20, 2010.

1. PattyO

PattyO Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 25, 2010
    What chickens were bred to come up with the Golden Comet? Do these chickens live as long as purebred breeds? These birds give me an egg each almost every day. Because of this will they not live as long as other chickens?

2. stanglover2001

stanglover2001 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2010

Last edited: Dec 21, 2010
  3. RAREROO

RAREROO Overrun With Chickens

Jul 22, 2009
    Alapaha, Ga
    Read this thread. Particulary posts 17 and 24 https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=422606&p=1

stanglover2001's
    post is what I was hoping you wouldnt get but I guess that incorrect information comes from the false sources on the net. Though no offense to you stanglover2001 .

Here is why its incorrect though and there is a better explaination in that thread. The Golden Commets are white tailed red columbian, ( like a RIR but white were the black would be). This white comes from Dominant white and few breeds carry Dominant white. So for to make a sexlink this color, the hens have to be carrying both Silver ( for making sexlinks) and Dominant white ( for making the white tail coloring)

White Rocks, are a recessive white breed and in recessive white birds, there is no way to know what color they are masking unless you know their genetic history or if you breed them first. Most white rocks especially the first ones created were masking barring since they were sports from breeding Barred Rocks. But now there are some strains that may be masking Columbian that would be used to make sexlinks, but even then, they wouldnt carry the Dom white unless it was breed in also and without the Dom white, the pullets would be black tailed like the ones on Ideals site so they obviously have a Silver Strain of White Rocks but you cant just definitively say cross and White Rock hen with any gold roo and get sexlinks. So its best to stay away from Recessive White breeds to make sexlinks.

The Delawares, also can not produce a white tailed bird with a RIR roo becuase they also do not carry Dom white, if they did, then they wouldnt show any black. So Delawares when bred with Red roos will produce sexlinks with black tailed hens like RIRs too. like it also shows on Ideals site.

So long story short. The hatchery RIW hens are the only "out" strain of birds that can reliably be used to make the Golden Commet looking Sexlinks without having to recreate a hen strain that would do so . But there are some of these Sexlinks that are 3-4 way crosses that hatcheries have developed a particular strain to use as the mother and father strain that may produce that produce this particular color. So being hatchery birds and hatcheries arent going to tell you what they used for their specialized crosses, then there is really no what to give you a definitive answer.

4. math ace

math ace Overrun With Chickens

Dec 17, 2009
    Jacksonville, FL
    Quote:That was very informative Clint. Thank you so much for taking the time to respond. I have a golden comet ) hatchery and totally adore her. She is so low maintenance.

So, if I got a RIW hen, what breed(s) roo could I use to create my own golden comets ? ? ?

5. RAREROO

RAREROO Overrun With Chickens

Jul 22, 2009
    Alapaha, Ga
    Quote:That was very informative Clint. Thank you so much for taking the time to respond. I have a golden comet ) hatchery and totally adore her. She is so low maintenance.

So, if I got a RIW hen, what breed(s) roo could I use to create my own golden comets ? ? ?

You are welcome. As far as making your own, it would be better if you just simply called them Gold Sexlinks though since Golden Comets are like a certain hatcheries brand name and those names are kinda where all the confusion on what is what is started. So for making those Gold Sexlinks with white tails, it would be best to use a RIR roo or really any Red Columbian based roo, like I used a Speckled Sussex rooster https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=375015. Which would be the same base color as the RIRs. A Buckeye would also be a great choice and that way you should get pea combed gold sexlinks.

6. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    For the OP, your sex links will live as long as other breeds. They should lay like most other breeds, heavily through the first two years then gradually tapering off each sucessive year. They're generally pretty healthy and don't run into a lot of problems.

7. flgardengirl

flgardengirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2009
    Sunny side up :)
    I love my Golden Comet, Duckie. She has not missed a day laying since May when she first started. She is sweet, smart, and very low maintenance. She is small but lays a large rounded very dark reddish brown egg probably a 4 or 5 on the Marans scale lol. I love eating her eggs for breakfast...I usually pick hers to eat out of all of ours for some reason. I will definitely be getting some more G.Comets next spring.

8. PattyO

PattyO Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 25, 2010
    Thanks for the info. I love my Comets they are very sweet , just the right size and little laying machines.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by