golden commet hens pecking at eachother

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by creekgirl, Feb 12, 2013.

1. creekgirl

creekgirl New Egg

Feb 12, 2013
    Cape Breton, N.S. Canada
    I have 5 golden commet hens who are pecking eachother. It seems to have just started this winter. Everyday they are losing more feathers, two of the hens in particular, the other 3 are not too bad at all. I went to check on them today and the back of the neck of one of the hens was bleeding and feathers are completely gone. The other of the two has a bald patch on the side of her neck. I don't know what to do with them. Why are they pecking at eachother? Are they bored? I have a light on in the evening for a little while too.They don't get alot of free range time because of the snow. They do come out into their run during the day... most of the time. We had a really bad cold spell for a week or so, so they were in a lot. Should I seperate them and what should I put on the hens wound? Thanks!!

2. Michael Apple

Michael Apple Overrun With Chickens

Mar 6, 2008
    Northern California
    When you say you haven't let them out, does that mean you have them inside a coop/building? How large is the space? What kind of light do you leave on at night, and what for?

3. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Picking/pecking could be caused by several things: Overcrowding in coop/pen, lice/mites, lack of enough protein in their diet, boredom, perhaps they could be in molt.

4. creekgirl

creekgirl New Egg

Feb 12, 2013
    Cape Breton, N.S. Canada
    i have a coop with a run attached to it so they can go in and out as they please. It is to the size of the requirements for the number of chickens I have. I have a light that is on a timer to come on in the coop for extra hours of light they need for laying. It is just a light bulb 13 watts.

5. creekgirl

creekgirl New Egg

Feb 12, 2013
    Cape Breton, N.S. Canada
    I forgot to add that the hens are only 14 months old... if that helps.

6. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Perhaps they arnt getting enough sleep. Kinda like me when I have the bedroom light on all night.

7. Michael Apple

Michael Apple Overrun With Chickens

Mar 6, 2008
    Northern California
    I was thinking the same about light. Turn the light off at night. Get some anti-pick lotion/spray from the feed store and treat the affected areas of the birds body. Find out who the bullies are and separate them if you have to. The more space chickens have, the less likely you see neurotic/destructive behavior.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2013
  8. creekgirl

creekgirl New Egg

Feb 12, 2013
    Cape Breton, N.S. Canada
    thanks for all the feedback everyone! I treated their wounds from the pecking with blue kote... I will try and get the anti pecking spray/ lotion too.I have seperated the two that seem to be getting the most picked at and put them together away from the other 3 and I noticed today that they are picking at eachother as well. I think that all of the chickens are picking at eachother. I don't think there is one bully. I also noticed today that one of them layed an egg and it had blood on it. the egg is perfectly normal except that it had blood all over the shell. I looked at her and she had blood all over her behind where the egg comes out of her. I also turned off the light in the night. I can't seperate all 5 from eachother.
    Thanks again everyone... any feedback and suggestions is a really big help!

Last edited: Feb 13, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by