1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

golden copper maran blood behind rake

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by hensplease, Dec 26, 2009.

1. hensplease

hensplease Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2009
    san diego
    i seperated her from the flock wat happened and what else can i do?

2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Rake? I'm not sure what you mean. Do you mean her comb? What kind/how much blood? Is there an injury? I think we need lots more information to help you.

3. hensplease

May 9, 2009
    san diego
    comb theres not much blood but theres no skin there no feathers i think its from overmating but we only have one roo to 30 hens so that puts that out of the question should i keep her seperated for a few days with gatorade?

4. speckledhen

If she just has a small injury from mating, I think you could just keep her separate till there is no visible blood so the others don't pick at the wound. She probably doesn't need gatorade, really.

Even with that many hens to one rooster, they still have their favorites. I had the same ratio myself till recently. Subordinate hens will squat and be mated more often than the rest of the girls.

5. hensplease

May 9, 2009
    san diego
    is there any thing else i can do for her tho?

6. farmin'chick

farmin'chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2009
    Rocky Mount VA
    When I had an overmated hen, some folks on here suggested spritzing her with stinky cologne to make her unattractive to the roo...I didn't try it...

7. speckledhen

Well, she may be stressed being away from her coop-mates, so you could give her extra protein (scrambled eggs) or something, but really, the wound needs to be semi-healed and non-bloody, is all.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by