Golden Cox's Rare Poultry Hatchery ~ Little Falls, MN

Acschmitt

In the Brooder
7 Years
Aug 1, 2012
little falls, mn
Jumping in with both feet. This past spring my husband went and purchased around 100 assorted chickens:
Standard:
Giant Jersey White, Black Australorp, NHR, RIR, Production Reds, Barred Rocks, Silver Laced Wyandottes, Buff Orpingtons, White Leghorns, California White, Golden Comets, Black Sex Link, Light Sussex, Ameraucanas.

Bantams: 1 red roo Cochin and 3 female cochins-1 black, 1 black and white splash, 1 Buff(hubby calls it orange), Porcelain D'uccle roo, Golden Sebright
we no matches for them. Hoping for them by next spring. We have an unidentified Game bird also.

We are breaking them up into Breeder Flocks, but right now just starting out they are all in one main pen, with the exception of the bantams who are in their own section of the pen.

We also have 4 Pekin ducks (1 male and 3 female), 2 older male Muscovy ducks, and we also rescued 9 mallard ducks (4 male, 5 female).

We welcome any questions, comments, and advice. :) We learn as we go

Last edited:
You are aware you need a hatchery permit in Minnesota to sell poultry under 5 months old right. All your breeding birds will have to be tested. This also requires a yearly inspection.

That is a monster flock!!! I can't imagine setting up breeding pens and housing, wow! I'm only dealing with 35 and the amount of space needed is amazing...100 chickens...that's 400 sf of inside room and 1000 feet outside run area....aaaaahhhh.

Good luck..it's a wonderful, colorful flock :)

Just a friendly FYI, but Golden Comets and Black Sex Links are hybrids so they will not breed true. To make more black sex links, for example, you need Barred Plymouth Rock hens and a Rhode Island Red cock. Really you can do it with any barred/cuckoo female, but that's the prevailing formula. Breeding Black Sex Link females to BSL males will not make more sex links. Luckily you already have barred rocks in your list and production reds. I'm not sure whether those production reds are red sex links or if they're just hatchery quality Rhode Island Reds, but you could probably use a cock from that group and have it still work out. Barring any mysterious genetics, pun totally intended!

GOOD LUCK!

get your muscoveys out of there. They will eat all baby chicks out of the nest the second they stick their head out. paul

Back
Top Bottom