Golden Cuckoo Maran Chicks-Gender?

Helymo

Chirping
Apr 29, 2021
NKY
New chicken mama here and 2 of ours are GCMs. I have read, at length, the main GCM thread and have learned a LOT but still am not sure what gender my two GCM chicks are (and from the sounds of it, may not know for awhile-lol). I thought about commenting there but the thread is super old so I thought it best to post a new one.

I know the coloration in chicks can vary greatly but is it even possible that a dark one could be male and the lighter female? They are both supposed to be pullets but we know how that goes :) The dark one has been our most vocal and active, and seems to already be at the top of the pecking order, bossing everyone around. The lighter one is already pretty feathered out considering we picked them both up 8 days ago as day old chicks. I noticed this morning that the darker one's comb is getting pretty dominant already as well. Can get a pic of that later tonight if needed. These pics were taken over the last week. Thoughts?

Attachments

• IMG_9926.JPG
    IMG_9926.JPG
    839.9 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_9927.JPG
    IMG_9927.JPG
    658.2 KB · Views: 20
Too young. As far as I know, golden cuckoo marans hens aren’t lighter than the roosters as chicks.
That is what I have been finding as well but had seen a few posts with darker males. Figured it would be highly unlikely but wondering why they are so different! Different breed could explain it 🤔 We ordered an assortment and were told these were goldens but honestly we aren't picky since we are new. Thank you!

That is what I have been finding as well but had seen a few posts with darker males. Figured it would be highly unlikely but wondering why they are so different! Different breed could explain it 🤔 We ordered an assortment and were told these were goldens but honestly we aren't picky since we are new. Thank you!
If the darker one is a cuckoo marans, then it’s still the same breed, just a different variety/color.

Back
Top Bottom