Golden cuckoo maran hen X Buff Orpington roo

Discussion in 'Exhibition, Genetics, & Breeding to the Standard o' started by theatrain16, Apr 10, 2017.

1. theatrain16

theatrain16 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 6, 2016
    Texas
    I know that a cross with a buff Orpington roo and a regular cuckoo maran hen is a black sex link, but what about a golden cuckoo maran hen and buff Orpington roo cross? Does this still make a sex link?

2. theatrain16

Apr 6, 2016
    Texas
    Anyone know?

3. Yardbird22

Yardbird22 Just Hatched

Apr 26, 2017
    Yes it would still make a sex link because barred is dominate and a sex link treat. A golden cuckoo is a barred base with ER and sex link trait for gold s. Buffs are s and ee. So buff rooster ss, ee. Marans hen ER,B, s. I would think roosters would be barrrd with more gold bleeding through, and hens should just be buff. you should use a Punnets square and cross everything that's sex linked. But I think you could cross it back to stabilize golden cuckoo. Hope that helps. Genetics is easy in my head. Not so easy to explain it lol.

4. theatrain16

Apr 6, 2016
    Texas
    Thank you!
    What if the roo was a black copper maran?

5. Yardbird22

Yardbird22 Just Hatched

Apr 26, 2017
    Black copper pullet. Golden cuckoo roo, but he might have more red then gold in the hackle. I would think, iv never done that cross I'm just going off genetics. But the roo will be Heterozygous for Barred Bb so he will be dark barred like the hen not the light color barred you see in most barred roosters. You would have to breed him back to his mother and then you could get a homozygous rooster BB.

6. theatrain16

Apr 6, 2016
    Texas
    Very cool! Thank you!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by