1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

golden cuckoo maran? or barnyard mix?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by mamahen82, Oct 27, 2010.

1. mamahen82

mamahen82 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 29, 2010
    [​IMG]

We're thinking of getting rid of this rooster - we never intended on having roosters and now that he is "grown up" he is being quite rough on the (previously dominant) very sweet older hen.

He's great with the other hens and he didn't seem to bother the old gal all night/this morning so maybe they've sorted that out - but I digress - I assume he is just a barnyard mix, but if there is a strong chance he is a cuckoo maran, I'd like to keep him for chicks in the spring, (other behaviour issues sorted out). His feet are a grey/pink color.

We have 5 hens in total - maybe that is too few for a rooster anyways?

Last edited: Oct 27, 2010
  2. PotterWatch

PotterWatch My Patronus is a Chicken

Apr 22, 2008
    Virginia
    My guess is that unless you bought him from a breeder as a golden cuckoo marans, he is a barnyard mix. Marans aren't a super typical bird to find, let alone a golden cuckoo.

3. mamahen82

Aug 29, 2010
    thanks - that's what I figured but a girl can hope, right? He came in a box with 4 others labeled "chickens" that I picked up for $15 at the auction.....that is probably the answer right there!

4. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Yeah, Golden Cuckoos are harder to find than even Wheaten Marans.

He's got a great body though. I'd almost pin him as a Sex Link roo, but his leg color says he's a mutt.

5. billfields

billfields Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 29, 2009
    East Tennessee
    Quote:Proving yet again that some of the prettiest chickens are mutts! [​IMG]

6. banjoejoe4783

banjoejoe4783 VILLAMIL FARMS

Oct 6, 2010
    westville ok
    mix but dont be asamed we all hope for the best but it raly hapens that way sorry

7. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    I dont know..hes sure looks ALOT like my golden cuckoo roo that i got from a golden cuckoo breeder..
    Let me find a pic of my guy..

8. oesdog

oesdog Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2010
    Ireland
    Quote:He is very like my Cream Legbar Rooster baby 18 weeks - but your guys legs and beak are the wrong colour!!!! Sadly I think he is a Mutt but lovely Mutt!!!!!!!

[​IMG]

Oesdog

9. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Here he is.. And hes def not a mixed breed. (or he better not be a mixed breed...i paid big bucks for those eggs...[​IMG]..)

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 27, 2010
  10. mamahen82

Aug 29, 2010
    wow they are strikingly similar - yours has fully pink legs though - my guy had grey/pink legs.

Yes I said 'had'....he was aggressively attacking our favorite hen for a couple of days, it was getting bloody. We live fairly residential and although our neighbors are good about it, I am still not sure if all the crowing is acceptable (our coop is very close to our neighbors house). We also only have 5 hens with no plans of getting more right away and I'm not sure if that is a fair ratio of hens/rooster. With no way of knowing if he is indeed a golden cuckoo marans we decided to 'deal' with him if he is going to be so aggressive with the hens, especially when the chances are that he is a true breed are so slim. The chickens are my daughter's pets more than anything, so keeping things amicable, especially with her 'favorites' (the picked on hen) is important.

anyways, thanks again for all the help - this sure is a learning adventure!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by