Golden cuckoo maran or olive egger?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by chelseajgoss, Oct 2, 2016.

1. chelseajgoss

chelseajgoss Out Of The Brooder

Sep 18, 2016
    Tucson, AZ
    Hey guys! Anyone who could help would be great!
    So i got a golden cuckoo maran from a feed store. And i also have 2 black copper marans that i got from a breeder. One of them is laying an olive egg. And im not sure who. I can deal with it if its the golden maran thats laying it. Since i will be breeding, i dont want the babies to lay eggs like that. Anyways, if its the golden laying those eggs, its fine, because i dont wanto sell her babies, i will know just not to use those for hatching. My 2 black marans though, if ones not pure, and laying green, i dont want to be accidentally hatching out the goldens babies thinking its the blacks. Is there a way to breed and get birds that look like golden marans? I mean, the breeder was pretty good at keeping all her birds seperate. And they look like true coppers. Any help would be appreciated![​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. QueenMisha

QueenMisha Queen of the Coop

Good lord, are feed stores carrying Golden Cuckoos now?? Hmm. That was quick.

Since it came from a hatchery the supposed Golden Cuckoo could be anything, really, though taking a glance at it I'd guess that's what it is. Hatcheries can tamper pretty well with things in just a few generations though.

The "Marans" in the back is showing a modified pea comb and a distinctly Easter Egger-y face. I'd guess she's your olive layer. Easiest way to tell who's laying what is to cage each bird off for a few days until you find the culprit.

3. chelseajgoss

Sep 18, 2016
    Tucson, AZ
    Are you talking about the wyandotte? Who happend to sneak in the picture haha. Or do you mean one of the marans?

4. QueenMisha

QueenMisha Queen of the Coop

Sorry, I should have been clearer. I'm referring to this girl here:

[​IMG]

5. chelseajgoss

Sep 18, 2016
    Tucson, AZ
    [​IMG]
    This is the egg compared to one of my comets

6. chelseajgoss

Sep 18, 2016
    Tucson, AZ
    Perfect. I will put her in with the lonely broody on monday and let you know for sure! I guess i wont be too upset if she lays a green egg, i paid for 2 and she threw in the 3rd for free because she wasnt sure on sex

7. rebrascora

rebrascora Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 14, 2014
    Consett Co.Durham. UK
    What colour legs does the golden cuckoo coloured bird in the background of the first picture have? I'm assuming that is the one that you bought as a marans from the feed store and that would be the most likely place for a mix up. Also what type of comb does it have? It looks to be a small single comb but the photo isn't close enough.

It's certainly a pretty egg, so I wouldn't be too unhappy about it.

8. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    agree with Queen Misha

9. chelseajgoss

Sep 18, 2016
    Tucson, AZ
    The golden cuckoo js suplosed to lay dark brown like the other marans. I will post a picture of mine in just a minute

10. chelseajgoss

Sep 18, 2016
    Tucson, AZ
    [​IMG]
    here are 4 of my maran eggs, with that green egg, and a golden comet egg.
    Ive noticed that 2 out of 4 of the maran eggs are more speckled, so maybe they come from 2 seperate chickens, and i will hopefully be able to tell them apart if the golden lays one of the dark brown ( i dont want to breed her)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by