Golden Cuckoo Marans- Houston local pick up or ship?

Discussion in 'Buy Sell Auction - Archives' started by pasofinofarm, Jan 3, 2009.

1. pasofinofarm

pasofinofarm NONESUCH FARM CONROE TX

Mar 22, 2007
    Near Houston, TX
    Birds and eggs are very nice.

10 eggs $50 Extras if laid

Shipping $15 Post sold and I will PM you with Paypal info.

Picutres for your viewing pleasure! [​IMG]

Pictures of some of our breeders
    [​IMG]

Chicks can be sexed right out of the shell. Cockerel on the left pullet on right
    [​IMG]

Eggs are very nice and will be even better in the next generation.
    [​IMG]

2. hcammack

hcammack Overrun With Chickens

Oct 5, 2007
    Vermont
    Beautiful AHH I wish I was your kid [​IMG] I am stuck with some non chicken/ farm loving parents although my Dad has started regretting not letting me get goats 3 years ago when I first started my interest in Dairy and Chickens. Have you ever posted pictures of your Dexter herd I would love to see them I worked with some Dexters at the zoo.

3. pasofinofarm

Mar 22, 2007
    Near Houston, TX
    Anything for you Henry. I just hope we don't boor the others who are only into chickens! I have a kid that hates the farm... He is going to TAMU... too funny, an agricultural university... we are still laughing!

Fancy and Gypsy and their calves. I have trained them both to milk and they are my current milkers.
    [​IMG]

Bluto (on the right) the day he was born standing next to Wonder who is already 2 1/2 months old... Isn't he HUGE?
    [​IMG]
    Fancy and Bluto again
    [​IMG]
    Bully- my bull with his mini Hereford girlfriend
    [​IMG]
    Colleen another milker I trained.
    [​IMG]
    Elsie- not a Dexter but a beautiful Jersey that I bred to Bully and sold as a milker. She is now owned by my friend Catherine
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 4, 2009
  4. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Wow, Melissa, how wonderful.

What beautiful Dexters.

We had what we called a "red angus" that we milked when I was a kid that was most likely a dexter. She had LOTS of milk.

I'm certain you are hoping that the Hereford heifer drops you a little bull so you can put him in the freezer.... and to give up such a beautiful Jersey cow.... and BOTH Of your Dexter's dropped BuLLS??? you may want to save the better looking one from the best milker and pray fro heifers next year.

Do you hand milk or do you have milkers?... suck the milk into a tank for cooling???

Can you tell I grew up milking cows by hand? Morning and evening...it never ended. No vacations. you know.

5. hcammack

Oct 5, 2007
    Vermont
    OH MY GOD I WANT A CALF NOW !!!!!!!!! they are not to big for my backyard hey guess what I am showing my mom tomorrow. I really am interested in making cheese for the rest of my life its my favorite food and I know how to milk goats/ cows/ sheep and would like to have all of those one day. I really can't wait. I am in the opposite situation from your son I crave farming I am a farming addict and it never gets boring for me. The farm I work on has everything. I am an upper middle class private school kid who loves to be knee deep in &%$# [​IMG] Its the only time I am not to ADD to function with out meds! I love those cows that a beautiful herd and your bull is stunning! those calves are beautiful and your right about Bluto being huge!

6. pasofinofarm

Mar 22, 2007
    Near Houston, TX
    I love to hand milk but I own a 1950 Surge belly milker for when I am in a hurry. And all FOUR of the cows I bred this year had bull calves! Why is the woman with five sons and no daughters not surprised?

The really nice thing about Dexters is that if you calf-share you can still have vacations, get sick, or not milk for a day or even a week without having everything go bad. I gave up the Jersey because you just can't do that with a cow that produces 5 gallons or more of milk a day. She is now loved and milked by my frend who has a bunch of kids still at home and can make good use of it.

I leave my calves with their cows and when they start taking more milk then I am willing to give up I pen them, sometimes 12 hours a day if I need a lot of milk or because I work I more often put them up in the morning before I leave, then milk when I get home...about 9 hours give or take.

If I can't come straight home or have to be gone overnight I just don't pen the calves and they take most of the milk.

I make yogurt and cheese and butter and have totaly supplanted grocery dairy and and beef (and chicken). Next year I hope to can and freeze enough out of the garden to pass up the veggie section too. The cpws are almost 100% grass fed except a treat they get in the stanchion during milking which may be overflow veggies from the garden or day old bread or corn or...???

I love raw milk and have really enjoyed a boost to my health. I think I would own a cow even if I lived in a neighborhood and keep her in the garage at night and stake her on grass during the day. City folks used to do just that before all the ordaninces that prevent it now.

Uh-oh... I am rambling...

7. hcammack

Oct 5, 2007
    Vermont
    Same with me no ordinances here though but an ornery Mom [​IMG] I have talked about getting a goat or two. I really love jerseys and at the farm I work on they were milking 4 when I was there but when I work this summer their will be 8 milking all by hand [​IMG] I am going to be getting up very early [​IMG]

OH and someone buy these eggs those birds and egg color look amazing!

8. pasofinofarm

Mar 22, 2007
    Near Houston, TX
    Henry- one goat is very easy to maintain and if you get one that has just freshened you can have fresh milk for a year. I personaly do not enjoy goats milk but lots of people love it and drink it ahead of cows milk.

I milked a Nubian for a year. She was sweet as pie and the rest of my family loved her milk. But try before you buy... some milk is 'goaty' and some is very clean tasting although unfortunately I can still pick it out!

We now return you to our chicken channel...

9. hcammack

Oct 5, 2007
    Vermont
    LOL beautiful Golden Cuckoo's I am sending telepathic broody vibes out to the coop now although I would probably take the Faverolles over them. Faverolles, Ameraucana, and Marans are also my favorite three breeds [​IMG]

10. Buck Creek Chickens

Buck Creek Chickens Have Incubator, Will Hatch

Nov 26, 2008
    Neenah, WI
    I wish:barnie

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by