Golden Cuckoo Marans - roo or pullet?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by CorgiHouse, Sep 25, 2011.

1. CorgiHouse

CorgiHouse Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 4, 2010
    Boring, OR
    Can someone please help clarify how to sex a GCM? I have one lone GCM chick and would like to figure out what sex it is. I was originally under the impression that you could sex them by the size of the white spot on their heads....just like BR's. But then in doing some reading, I heard that it's the color of their body that indicates the sex - lighter ones being the roos. I'm hoping the experts here will set me straight on what is correct, and also hoping you can tell me what sex this chick is. (I thought it was a pullet due to the small head spot, but it's looking more rooish as it grows up! Which fits with the light body being male theory.)

Ignore the other chicks in the background - the one in question is in the middle of the foreground. Thanks!

[​IMG][/img]

2. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Either it is 100% girl or 100% not a Golden Cuckoo. [​IMG]

Golden Cuckoos are Black Copper w/barring, usually a black/grayish brownish chick with a very apparent dot on the head, yours looks to me like either a Golden Salmon or a female barred Golden Salmon, which, technically is Crele.

3. CorgiHouse

Dec 4, 2010
    Boring, OR
    Quote:Thanks for the reply Illia. And now I'm even more confused!! I've never even heard of Golden Salmon Marans! LOL
    I was surprised at the chick's color when I first saw him/her too......expected him to be darker. But then I saw some pics of other GCM chicks and some were similar to mine. Here's a thread where I saw the reference to sexing by the color of the whole chick, and that one looks very similar to mine: http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://krisallyn.com/images/cuckooMaran1.jpg&imgrefurl=https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php%3Fpid%3D2005290&usg=__jDJDl5WSfWdvXqnUH2xDGCw6G1c=&h=435&w=400&sz=28&hl=en&start=35&zoom=1&tbnid=Oho-4MDF1xQSKM:&tbnh=126&tbnw=116&ei=uAGATsblOo7KiALPocS6Aw&prev=/search%3Fq%3Dgolden%2Bcuckoo%2Bmarans%2Bchicks%26start%3D21%26um%3D1%26hl%3Den%26sa%3DN%26rlz%3D1T4ADBR_enUS254US255%26tbm%3Disch&um=1&itbs=1

I
    also just googled Golden Salmon and those chicks look different to me. So......guess I'll just see how s/he turns out and decide what sex AND breed he is! Very pretty bird, though. I like him a lot!

Thanks again!

4. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    This and This is what Golden Cuckoos look like. Basically barred Black-Coppers but with more reddish coloring as a chick.

Now yes, Golden Salmons are a more true duckwing and yours appear more like a partridge would around the face, but, who knows. . .

Got parent pics?

5. CorgiHouse

Dec 4, 2010
    Boring, OR
    Quote:Yes, that's what I was expecting! But I don't know enough about them to know whether the lighter one was typical also......and then saw some other pics that showed similar ones, so I thought it was.

Quote:This is all very interesting and enlightening. I'm dying to know just exactly what I have now!

Quote:No......I'll have to see if I can get some! My friend bought the eggs from a breeder and had them shipped here. Only 1 chick hatched, and I got it from her. I'll ask her if she has pics of the parent stock. I'm very curious now!!

Thanks again for the info.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by