"golden" cuckoo marans

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by EricH, Sep 8, 2010.

1. EricH

EricH Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2010
    Valley Springs, ca
    hi, i was looking at a site called "my pet chicken" - 2 questions......

1. is this site decent? are their really rare marans and penedesenca eggs really turn out to be quality chickens?

2. is a "golden" cuckoo marans a "creole" or "crele" as i see some people say it?

and i guess there are 3 questions...

what is the creole coloring? just a gold and black barring?

2. FarmGirl01

FarmGirl01 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2008
    AR
    I've always liked the golden cuckoo's. I ordered some eggs, but only one hatched. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Here's a crele OEGB.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2010
  3. blackdotte

blackdotte Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 18, 2008
    "is a "golden" cuckoo marans a "creole" or "crele" as i see some people say it?"
    A golden Cuckoo Marans is the same colour pattern as an OEG Crele, never heard of 'creole' with respect to chicken outside cookery. LOL

"what is the creole coloring?"
    Never heard of creole, but Crele is genetically a barred (or cuckoo) Duckwing. The colour game breeders call Partridge in the hen,& Black breasted red in the cock.

4. cashdl

cashdl Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2008
    Willits
    That is a beautiful color. I would love to see that in the araucana's. HMMM!

Lanae

5. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Quote:Pshh, just get some of mine. [​IMG] My cuckoos are one generation away from that color.

As for My Pet Chicken, I would not call it a quality place for breeds like that. They're a hatchery, so all they focus on are selling a LOT of chicks.

I think Golden Cuckoo is separate from Crele, as Crele is duckwing based, and there are no duckwing Marans. . . They're probably wheaten or black copper based cuckoos. They're nice, but like any Marans - If you want quality, look for a breeder, not a hatchery. [​IMG]

6. cashdl

cashdl Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2008
    Willits
    Illia,

Ok post a pic. I want to see. It does look close to duckwing.

Lanae

7. 3chimama

3chimama Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2010
    Pacific Northwest
    I have Golden Cuckoos on my wish list for next spring!

8. FarmGirl01

FarmGirl01 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2008
    AR
    I think the person on BYC that has them is ...pasofinofarms. Do a search, I think thats right.[​IMG]

9. Goose and Fig

Goose and Fig Grateful Geese

Apr 19, 2009
    Fall Creek Falls TN
    MPC's hatching eggs- I believe they come from Gabbard Farms. They have their own website you can look at for more pics. MPC has mostly great reviews, Gabbard- mixed.

10. EricH

EricH Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2010
    Valley Springs, ca
    Quote:I believe i saw gabbard farm selling penedesenca eggs on ebay... hmm, maybe ill take a look into gabbard.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by