Golden cuckoo Marans.

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Bakerentllc, Feb 25, 2013.

1. Bakerentllc

Bakerentllc Out Of The Brooder

Jul 18, 2012
    Shelbyville Ky
    Does anybody know what you would cross to make golden cuckoo Marans?
    I have black copper, blue copper and cuckoo Marans can I cross these and make golden cuckoo?

2. Duramaxgirl

Duramaxgirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2010
    Idaho
    I copyed this from the cuckoo marans thread:
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/495365/lets-talk-cuckoo-and-white-marans-breeding-strategies

1st mating (F1).....Black Copper X Cuckoo you will get single bar roos and black pullets. Ditch the black pullets

2nd Mating (F2)...SB Cockerel x Black Copper female. you will get an assortment ; Cuckoo, Blacks, Birchen (cream), Er Cuckoo (cream), which you cull and Er Cuckoo (golden) which you keep.

3rd mating (F3)....Use the Golden Cuckoo (F2) cockerels and pullets. These will produce SB (single bar) dark cuckoo males (which should be culled) and both golden and reddish Cuckoo cockerels and pullets.

4th mating (F4)...use the reddish or golden, light cuckoo males and the reddish or golden barred females from the F3 mating. These will breed true now.

I think the biggest problem is having the patience to wait until you get the DF (double barring factor males) another issue would be whether you prefer the reddish color or the true golden color.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by