Golden Duckwing Welsummer - Large Fowl

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by tmh-kjwclw, Nov 30, 2010.

1. tmh-kjwclw

tmh-kjwclw New Egg

Nov 30, 2010
    Missouri
    I just figured out what type of Rooster we have. He looks like a Golden Duckwing Welsummer. Tell me what you think? Also, I was told he is a very rare breed of chicken.

[​IMG]

2. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    I've never even heard of such. . . . I would say he's something else. . . Or a mutt. Does he have five toes, or are those his spurs?

3. tmh-kjwclw

tmh-kjwclw New Egg

Nov 30, 2010
    Missouri
    Those are spurs. He has actually won Grand Champion.

You can look up Golden Duckwing Welsummer. In what I have found they are extremely rare, but he looks exactly like the other pics I have seen.

4. cashdl

cashdl Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2008
    Willits
    Are his legs white or yellow. They look white. A Welsummer is supposed to have yellow legs.

Lanae

5. cashdl

cashdl Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2008
    Willits
    I re-read my little post and hope I didn't come off like I was knocking him. Duckwing is my very favorite color, so he is beautiful.

I am assuming his tail was cut.

Lanae

6. draye

draye Overrun With Chickens

Nov 30, 2010
    Arkansas
  7. tmh-kjwclw

tmh-kjwclw New Egg

Nov 30, 2010
    Missouri
    I am sorry if I came across defensive. We were told he was a rare breed when we got him a couple of years ago. His legs are actually yellow, we have not cut his tail and he is a large fowl not a bantam.

We have had some of his chicks hatch out and we lost the one hen we got and she looked exactly like a welsummer. She was half welsummer and rhode island red.

He is actually about 3 years old now and has filled out nicely.

Last year he won 1st runner up and this year he actually won Grand Champion.

I am actually trying to find some welsummer hens to breed him with.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2010
  8. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

Very beautiful boy!!!

9. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    Quote:Yes Golden Duckwing Welsummer are rare but I don't think he is one [or at least pure Golden Duckwing Welsummer].
    Don't get me wrong he is a nice looking bird but just don't think he is pure or a Golden Duckwing Welsummer.
    He has a lot of Gold in his back, short back, "smut" in his breast and looks to have a lot of Black coming in the Hackles all are incorrect for a Golden Duckwing Welsummer.

Here is a link to some U.K. Golden Duckwing Welsummer.
    http://www.tiphayesfarm.co.uk/chook-breeds/60-gold-duckwing-welsummer

Chris

Last edited: Nov 30, 2010
  10. blackdotte

blackdotte Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 18, 2008
    The British Standard recognises 2 Welsummers, the gold based Partridge Welsummer, a gold duckwing e+ s+; and the Silver Duckwing Welsummer, a silver duckwing e+ S.
    The link shows hens of both these varieties.
    The so called Golden Welsummer male, as shown by the photos in this thread & the web site are actually a gold X silver split, e+/e+ S/s+, and this colour is only found in the male, the females are either Partridge or Silver Duckwing.
    Still a pretty bird

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by