Golden Eagle attacked my girls.

jnicholes

Crowing
Feb 16, 2017
Hello,

So, I heard my chickens clucking very loud like there was danger. I went out, and I found one of my chickens dead. Attacked. Wasn't sure what attacked it, until I looked up. I looked up and saw this massive golden eagle circling overhead. It circled, then flew off. Me and my brother both saw it.

What can I do to prevent predatory birds from attacking? The run isn't covered, but I can cover it if needed.

"Eight little gold sex links thinking they're in heaven,

An eagle swooped down and killed one, and then there were seven."

Any help will be appreciated,

Jared

Folly's place

Enabler
9 Years
Sep 13, 2011
southern Michigan
Plan to keep your birds in a safe coop and covered run for at least two weeks, until this eagle (hopefully) gives up and moves on. You do need a covered run!!!
I free range my flock, but not all the time, and not when a raptor has come visiting.
This happens, and that's what you do to keep your survivors safe.
If you never want to loose a bird to predators, they can't free range. There's a trade-off!
Mary

jnicholes

Crowing
Feb 16, 2017
First off, one of my hobbies is hunting, and while hunting I have to be sure of what I am shooting at for regulations. Eagles are federally protected. I know an eagle when I see one. Me and my brother both saw It.

It was circling around the run, so I'm pretty sure it was what attacked the hens. There was also no signs of forced entry from any part of the fence. The attacker came from above.

If the eagle comes back, I will get a picture to show you guys. It's a magnificent sight, but not when it kills one of my chickens.

I also have pictures of the chicken that was killed. The way it was attacked, all the spots that were bleeding and feathers that were pulled out, it looks like an eagle did it.

I will only post those pictures if somebody requests it. They are a little gruesome.

My chickens and my rabbit, who live together are very smart. I just went out to check on them, and they are all huddled together in the coop. It looks like they are planning to stay in there until the eagle goes away.

Anyway, that's all the information I can give at the moment.

Jared

starri33

Crowing
Feb 28, 2016
Golden Valley AZ
Jared I agree with everyone, you need a covered run, I am in the middle of expanding mine, for the moment I am using bird netting over my run.. I am going to take a suggestion from one of the ladies on here and use fishing line strung across the top of the run in addition to the bird netting.. I can't afford the cost of chicken wire/hard ware cloth for the size of the run I am creating.. I just took a picture of a hawk yesterday that got himself a pigeon that was in my yard, he can have all the pigeons, squirrels and rabbits he wants but he needs to stay away from my chickens. Seeing him, has made me take a closer look at my run for aerial predators.

Ducksandchickens

Free Ranging
Apr 24, 2018
North Western Ohio
First off, one of my hobbies is hunting, and while hunting I have to be sure of what I am shooting at for regulations. Eagles are federally protected. I know an eagle when I see one. Me and my brother both saw It.

It was circling around the run, so I'm pretty sure it was what attacked the hens. There was also no signs of forced entry from any part of the fence. The attacker came from above.

If the eagle comes back, I will get a picture to show you guys. It's a magnificent sight, but not when it kills one of my chickens.

I also have pictures of the chicken that was killed. The way it was attacked, all the spots that were bleeding and feathers that were pulled out, it looks like an eagle did it.

I will only post those pictures if somebody requests it. They are a little gruesome.

My chickens and my rabbit, who live together are very smart. I just went out to check on them, and they are all huddled together in the coop. It looks like they are planning to stay in there until the eagle goes away.

Anyway, that's all the information I can give at the moment.

Jared
Pics of the kill would be good. Put in the thread title GRAPHIC PICS or something like that to warn people

Top Bottom