Golden Girl, I hope!

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by ameliaspurlock, Jun 25, 2016.

1. ameliaspurlock

ameliaspurlock New Egg

Aug 9, 2014
    Winston Salem, NC
    I've got two 5 week-old Buff Orpington chicks that were supposedly sexed when I bought them and I'm praying that they are both female but each day I'm getting more worried that my favorite, Goldie is a golden boy. It's a little bigger than the other chick, the comb is definitely growing larger than the other one and it has red wattles starting. The other chick doesn't, and the comb is smaller so far. I am in the city limits and can't have a rooster, and I can only have a few chickens so raising chicks isn't in the picture. Can any of y'all tell me if Goldie is a boy? [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. CluckerCottage

CluckerCottage Chillin' With My Peeps

We raise BO's so I feel qualified to tell you that you have a pullet and a cockerel.
    They are adorable!

3. Chicken Bff

Chicken Bff Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2016
    Missiouri
    i think it is a roo

Last edited: Jun 25, 2016
  4. ameliaspurlock

ameliaspurlock New Egg

Aug 9, 2014
    Winston Salem, NC
    I really hate to hear that Goldie is a roo because I won't be able to keep him and he's already my baby, lol. I won't know what to do with him because nobody wants a rooster even if you give them away. IF my other 5 were BO's and IF I could have lots more I would, but as the name of this group is "Backyard Chickens" that's my situation. You can have a dog fixed and (if you are a barbarian) de-barked, but you can't neuter or de-crow a rooster. Bummer.

5. Chicken Bff

Chicken Bff Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2016
    Missiouri
    you could get a no crow rooster collar

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by