Golden Laced Cochin Bantams?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Mother_Hen2011, Nov 24, 2011.

1. Mother_Hen2011

Mother_Hen2011 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2011
    New Mexico
    I am currently in the market for the best broody hens lol so if anyone has any ideas where I could get chicks of a certian breed or full grown birds that are well known for broodiness please post here! I want to buy a bator but figure it would be cheaper to by a breed that will most likely go broody. I have 3 eeger hens and have been told they are most likely to not go broody as it has been bred out of them.

So any ideas where I could get some nice broody hens? I would love to hatch eggs but cant afford a bator.. Plus I figure that I have a better chance at hatching eggs if I do it the all natural way [​IMG] Someday i will have a bator though... Someday.. I know I dream big lol

Anyone on Golden Laced Cochin Bantams? Advice? Sizes? Broodiness? Temperament?? Any advice is greatly appreciated thanks in advance!!

Last edited: Nov 24, 2011
  2. Mother_Hen2011

Aug 2, 2011
    New Mexico
    Anybody in the new mexico area have some broody hens or a breed that is most likely to become broody? Or even some one that has a bator that they could sell me cheap? Im game for just about anything as long as I can get hatching eggs out of my system and replenish my flock before spring hits?

3. fowlsessed

fowlsessed Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 16, 2011
    east Tennessee
    Any of the game breeds do great for broody hens and exellent mothers. I have got a incubator with automatic turner but I'm in tennessee. [​IMG]

4. Mother_Hen2011

Aug 2, 2011
    New Mexico
    Quote:How much would shipping be and how much would you charge me for the bator its self? I really need some more chickens my chicken math is not doing well at the moment started out with 6 chicks ended with just 3 [​IMG]

5. Nikki82

Nikki82 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 1, 2011
    The breeds list for this site states how frequently they go broody. You could pick your favoured place to get chickens from, and see which of the ones that go broody freqently they have? I'm in Australia, and that's what I'm doing now, looking through what the closest place to get chickens from has, and compairing the breeds they have, to what the stats on this site says about them to decide what I want...[​IMG]

6. Mother_Hen2011

Aug 2, 2011
    New Mexico
    Quote:Thank you I didnt even think about that lol [​IMG] Thanks and good luck! [​IMG]

7. Nikki82

Nikki82 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 1, 2011
    You're welcome, and good luck to you too.[​IMG]

8. Mother_Hen2011

Aug 2, 2011
    New Mexico
    So Im looking at getting some Golden Laced Cochin Bantams on the 1st and was wondering if anyone could help me? Read the bottom of post one please and thank you sooo much!

9. Mother_Hen2011

Aug 2, 2011
    New Mexico
    The markings and the temperament seem to suit my flock well. If they dont integrate well with my flock they will have their own coop. How large will they be? I am getting 5 of them.

10. Mother_Hen2011

Aug 2, 2011
    New Mexico
    O.k so I think one of my hens is on strike... Either that or somethings bothering her.
    She just started laying. She is a 7 month old EEger. She lays little pink eggs for about 2 weeks now.. But almost 4 days ago was the last egg of hers I have found in the nest box. I was getting a green and pink egg every day... But now I only get a green one every day.. Could she be stressed? I have read on here that sometimes they can take awhile to pick up laying especially in the winter time.. But for 4 days straight? I have looked her over and she seems perfectly fine. eating drinking foraging with the other 2 her color in her face is still good her tail is standing straight up. I am not sure what could be bothering her. I have a little dog that wont leave them alone but hes been on a chain since he doesnt stay in the yard and tries to kill them every chance he gets. Poop is normal. Any suggestions? I have searched and searched and searched for a hidden nest but have found nothing... I am starting to worry about her.. [​IMG] [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by