Golden Laced Cochin Roo?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by drivingfive, Nov 4, 2011.

1. drivingfive

drivingfive Out Of The Brooder

Apr 24, 2011
    This guy (gal?) has been making us wonder from day one. I posted baby pics here https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=6410924 and everyone said pullet.

He/she is now 29 weeks.

What do you think now?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

here is our black cochin, she has a much smaller comb and nearly no waddles. Next to her is our suspect roo.

[​IMG]

I woke up at 5:50 this morning to a cocka-doodle-doo- I don't know if I was dreaming it because I am so paranoid my neighbors are going to turn us in, or if it really happened. If he is indeed a he, we would like to find him a new home. We are in Lodi if there are any locals that would like a free rooster!

Thanks so much!

2. ChickiKat

ChickiKat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2011
    Eastern Kansas
    I think it looks pullet. What a beautiful bird...

3. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Gosh, the body is very hennish, but the comb is slightly rooish......If you hear it crow, then it's a boy, but it sure looks more like a girl to me......

4. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

I would take her! Because that is not a rooster. [​IMG]

You must have been daydreaming, or another one is the culprit!

5. kari_dawn

kari_dawn Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 2, 2009
    North Texas
    that certainly does not look like a rooster at 29 weeks...more like a pullet ready to start laying to me.

6. ChickiKat

ChickiKat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2011
    Eastern Kansas
    [​IMG]
    See my black cochin behind the silkie, she is all girl and she has big wattles.

7. Chicken Bee

Chicken Bee Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 29, 2009
    Long Island
    No roos in sight in that photo! [​IMG]

Don't worry so much about the comb size, especially at this age. At 29 weeks, a rooster would be super obvious with pointy saddle feathers all down his back. She's probably about to lay, and the "crow" you heard might be her practicing her egg song. [​IMG]

8. drivingfive

drivingfive Out Of The Brooder

Apr 24, 2011
    I love this forum! Thank you guys for your quick replies! I guess I was dreaming it! If they were all laying then it would be easier to tell! Only one EE and one of the others is laying, we get a brown and a green egg every day [​IMG]

Thanks so much!!

9. BlazeJester

BlazeJester Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2011
    Midway, GA
    That's a beautiful hen! My BRs surprised the noodles out of me when their combs matured - I'm sure anyone who didn't know them would wonder if they're roosters!

10. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

No problem [​IMG]

A crow is less annoying than an egg song I hear [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by