Golden Laced Cochin Roosters

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Ellie, Jun 24, 2011.

1. Ellie

Ellie Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2007
    Redding, Ca.
    What do you think as far as "type"? Are they measuring up?

They are about 18 and 20 weeks old.

Harvey, abt 20 weeks old

[​IMG]

Stanley, abt 18 weeks old

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

They're bulking up, Ellie. Any pics of #3? Is it a male, too, for sure?

3. Ellie

Aug 10, 2007
    Redding, Ca.
    Yeah, they are looking good and I just wondered what the other GLC owners thought.

Number 3 is still a mystery. Here is Dolly if a girl and Little Ricky if a boy

[​IMG]

4. rodriguezpoultry

rodriguezpoultry Langshan Lover

Jan 4, 2009
    Claremore, OK
    I believe you have one male with a fairly severe wry tail.

5. Ellie

Aug 10, 2007
    Redding, Ca.
    Well, Cynthia, what do you think?

What is Wry tail by the way...twisted to one side? Ah, yes, Harvey may be the one. I'll take a closer look at him this afternoon. Thanks for the input.

(Correction edited)

Last edited: Jun 24, 2011
  6. ScaredOfShadows

ScaredOfShadows Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:i think your talking about harvey, and yes i see that too.

Ellie, you got it hun, wry tail is where the stock/base of the tail is misaligned/offcenter causing the tail and feathers to all shift to one side. Unfortunately I believe its genetic too.

7. ScaredOfShadows

ScaredOfShadows Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:I'm voting roo, it looks to be starting that roo pattern on the top of the wings/shoulders and the hackles. Though I'm not super familar with the partridge coloring when its feathering in. but i'm voting for Ricky

8. Ellie

Aug 10, 2007
    Redding, Ca.
    SOS, you are right, it is Harvey. I just went out and looked at him. I swear, I look at him every day and don't really notice these things. [​IMG] That's why I come here!! To learn.

9. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Crud, Ellie! He shouldn't be used for breeding because he'll pass that on...and after all the stuff you went through to get him. That means the breeder has it in her flock, knowingly or unknowingly. Takes one gene from each parent to show in the progeny. And since they are all three brothers, they may all three carry it.

10. Bo Garrett

Bo Garrett Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 19, 2009
    Compared to the more popular varieties of large cochins the GL lack in type and size and are still not competitive in the show ring. There are several breeders working on them and while the going is seemingly slow there is improvement being seen in the type department. Ellie, your birds are lacking in type, very flat and too tight feathered as well as lacking overall size. They should be very wide and deep bodied, with loose abundant fluff at least 3/4's of the feather length to get the massive appearance required of cochins. Right now your birds just don't have that and need to be crossed with birds that do have these characteristics. Most people, myself included, do not like harsh critique of their birds but it is needed if we are to see past the "my farm vision" and truly see our birds for what they are. Poor quality birds eat as much as good quality birds and I would recommend you search for some good quality birds. If you do not wish to get rid of your birds then I strongly urge you to get some very good blacks to outcross them to, this will improve the type but cause you a lot of work in the color pattern department. But you must first have a cochin with type before you worry about the color because a perfect colored bird without type will never meet the standard description.

Respectfully with blessings to you,

Bo

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by