Golden Laced Orpington Genetic Background

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by nicole camp, Jan 3, 2014.

1. nicole camp

nicole camp Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 19, 2013
    GENETIC BACKGROUND

What different breeds form a golden laced orpington? I truly have fell in love with this breed, and I decided to breed them next spring so I need all the advice I can get. Anything helps, and open to any tips and tricks to hatching as well.

Thanks,
    Nicole

Last edited: Jan 3, 2014
  2. Makomd

Makomd Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2011
    ES of MD , USA
    My guess would be Gold Laced Wyandottes were used to bring the lacing into the Orps. Followed by heavy hatching and culling to keep the lacing but breed toward the Orpington type.

3. nicole camp

Dec 19, 2013
    That's what I was guessing. What color do you think the Orps would have been?

4. Makomd

Jul 24, 2011
    ES of MD , USA
    Again I would guess black, trying to keep the colors the same but adding in the pattern genes from the Wyandotte. I am sure there are a few ways to do it, but most look for the fewest hatches/culls to get there.

It would clearly be a long term project to get the type and color correct. Don't let that discourage you though you will learn so much a long the way.

If a long term project is not what you are looking for, more than likely in a few years the price on the birds will drop dramatically as new colors or "hot" birds come in the market.

Regardless Good Luck.

5. nicole camp

Dec 19, 2013
    Thanks for all you help! I decided to purchase a breeding flock of 4 from a breeder near me. :)

6. Makomd

Jul 24, 2011
    ES of MD , USA
    I was looking up some of the genetics involved and I think you made a wise decision. Just to get the feather genetics and the comb genetics correct, not even including type it was looking like a lot of hatches would be be required, in the thousands.

Enjoy them they look to be great looking birds the pictures I have seen.

7. nicole camp

Dec 19, 2013
    Thanks! Best of luck to you :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by