Golden Laced Wyandotte-6wks old what sex?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by roverdew, Mar 13, 2013.

1. roverdew

roverdew Out Of The Brooder

Dec 29, 2012
    Charlotte, NC
    Golden Laced Wyandotte at about 6 wks old. Too soon to tell? It's the only one of that breed I have and I'm just not sure. I'm leaning towards roo. What do you think? How about the little guys below?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 13, 2013
  2. goldfinches

goldfinches Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2011
    Maryland
    Are you sure it's gold? Looks like Blue Laced Red, (black/red).

I can't see it's comb very good, but can see it's waddles. And the feathering makes me think roo?

3. roverdew

Dec 29, 2012
    Charlotte, NC
    No I'm not sure it's golden... I just assumed. Here's another picture from a different angle.

[​IMG]

4. goldfinches

May 6, 2011
    Maryland
    Yea, I think you have a Blue Laced Red who is actually Black Laced Red and he's a boy. I have one, too :)

[​IMG]

5. roverdew

Dec 29, 2012
    Charlotte, NC
    That's got to be it! Looks very similar, of course my peanut is still tiny in comparison.[​IMG] So is this some kind of mutation or what?

6. goldfinches

May 6, 2011
    Maryland
    Nope, they're a beautiful breed. I think Blue Laced Red birds can either be blue feathers with red lacing, splash feathers with blue lacing, (or blu with splash lacing), or red feathers with black lacing. They're all, though, the BLR color.

This pic is my boy still a juvenile. He's much bigger and prettier now, he's super sweet and takes great care of my flock.

7. roverdew

Dec 29, 2012
    Charlotte, NC
    Oh ok, thanks for all the info! I had no idea. He was the one packing peanut we kept from our chick order, glad I did! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by