1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Golden Laced Wyandotte - ID help - THANKS

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by lrgarden, Dec 8, 2011.

1. lrgarden

lrgarden Out Of The Brooder

Nov 11, 2009
  2. Jferlisi

Jferlisi i dont eat chicken!!!!

Nov 2, 2010
    Menifee CA
    Yes thats a cockerel. It all depends on the chicken as to when they crow or not.

3. ChickenWisperer

ChickenWisperer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2008
    KY
    Yeah... it's a boy. Some crow really early, some don't crow till 6+ months... it just depends.

4. anderson8505

anderson8505 Peace, Love & Happy Chickens

sorry, yeah I'd say that's a cockerel. Compare his beautiful feathers near his tail with your pullets... [​IMG] Send him here, I'm going to start a bachelor's pad. [​IMG]

5. Lothiriel

Lothiriel Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Aug 30, 2007
    New York State
    My Coop
    100% cockerel. He'll be pretty. Too bad you can't keep him. [​IMG] And it depends on the bird sometimes for the crowing. I've had some crowing at 4 weeks, others left me hanging.... until they were a lot older.

6. Peep lePleaser

Peep lePleaser Out Of The Brooder

Aug 16, 2011
    Definitely a cockerel. Longer feathers around his tail and neck. As someone else said here, compare them with your hens....most definitely male.

7. lrgarden

lrgarden Out Of The Brooder

Nov 11, 2009
    Thank you everyone. I was wondering why he was so late in feathering out his back. For several weeks he had almost no feathers on his back, between his wings. Then last week when I
    moved them out to the coop from the temporary run in the garage I noticed the beautiful shiny colors especially the saddle. Now I am wondering about the sexing on the rest of the birds, one dozen in total.

8. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

Quote:He is a boy. My pullet is nearing POL and doesn't have wattles that large yet [​IMG]

9. NYChicks345

NYChicks345 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 25, 2011
    Danube, NY
    I have GL and SL Wayandottes.... That is def. a cockerel... Very nice looking... Too bad u can't keep him.

10. MassivelyScrambled

MassivelyScrambled Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 28, 2011
    Northern California
    I'll confirm what's already been said here, we have GLWs and SLWs and the bird you picture is for sure a young Roo.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by